The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #31
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think her point is obviously God wasn't in on the plan, and SG shouldn't have to pay for the plan with her taxes just because this chick claimed it was God's will.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I realize she was ridiculing these idiots explaining their bad decisions as God's will... but;
Quote:
Tax God and I might start letting him in on these decisions.
I assume the Brits in question pay taxes like everyone else in the NHS, and obviously must be entitled to make bad decisions under that system.
God did not make these decisions, Brits did. God didn't created the NHS that poured resources into this case as a result of the bad decisions, Brits did.
If you give God no credit, then don't assign God blame.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #33
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't think she was blaming God either.

The way I read it, she simply quoted what she'd read and doesn't believe God had anything to do with it but that the woman's faith had plenty to do with it and in the end, the outcome was pretty much as the doctors had predicted.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yup, Ali gets it.
In every account of the story I read, God was mentioned by the parents. Everything was down to God. It just got up my nose a bit that he was still being referenced when both girls were dead and a lot of time and money had been spent on them, against all medical advice.

I don't say any of it is God's fault because I don't believe in him. But his name is often invoked to explain poor judgement.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

People that can't, or won't, make reasonable decisions always pass the buck. It's God's will, nature takes it's course, fate intervened, luck ran out, ad nauseum... but it all boils down to bad decisions and a system that caters to those bad decisions, no matter what their excuse.

Quote:
Tax God and I might start letting him in on these decisions.
Taxing God is impossible, and I don't think you have any say in who is involved in these decisions, since you are neither the Doctor nor patient.
If you don't think the NHS acted properly, complain to your elected representative. Tell them to change the system so these people can't waste your money.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #36
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
If you think it's bullshit, then don't read it.

I choose not to read romance novels for the same reason.

But I don't take the position that other people shouldn't, nor do I demand that they agree with me.
Yeah man... I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Be nice if ya could get out of the frikin links and have a look at others.
Yes. Link would have been nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yznhymr View Post
Radar is so full of shit squirrels from neighboring cities drop out of trees when he passes gas. Give me a break. I'm so tired of the Bible bashing and the gay bashing and the _____ bashing. Why bash? Just be cool and not sweat the small stuff. If you are so hurt you can't go without attacking a group you disagree with, go see a good head shrink and get some meds. You really need it.
Yeah, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Maybe he got tired of hearing how atheists have no moral values, or just that their values are in fact from God without them realising. Granted it was a provocative title...but then Radar is a provocateur, it's part of what he does. Good stuff. Personally, I liked this thread. The title made me laugh.
Yeah, me too! I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I didn't know the Morman thing before, it kinda puts the whole Radar persona in context.
You know... I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
it's not just that we're in a minority, but it's like being black 50 years ago ...it's ok and even encouraged to discrimanate against us, even if the law says it's not ok. FFS people want the 10 comandments in the law courts!

Whenever anyone is killed, the news report always has soundbite about how the deceased went to church regulary and was "god-fearing". WTF? You don't hear people saying "she was a lovely person, as white as they come...'
I think you're right... I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Arguing religion is better on the internet because if you get exasperated and walk away, you can come back later and continue as if nothing has happened.
Yeah, I can agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
You know, the people who make these videos often make the same mistake as the people they are criticizing: not substantiating their statements enough to convince anyone other than people who already agree with them.

I mean, is 15 seconds really long enough to summarize why, if God existed there would have to be physical proof? The air of finality with which people make such absolute statements only serves to discredit the premise of everything they are saying. It sounds like they didn't put much thought into it.
Uh-uh... what you said makes sense. I'm inclined to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yeah....well, even a war of ideas needs grunts :P
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I don't think she was blaming God either.

The way I read it, she simply quoted what she'd read and doesn't believe God had anything to do with it but that the woman's faith had plenty to do with it and in the end, the outcome was pretty much as the doctors had predicted.
Me neither. I agree.

what was this thread about again....
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

You're too darn agreeable.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #38
Madman
has left the building.

Yes... I agree.

Practicing my New Years resolution.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #39
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
it all boils down to bad decisions and a system that caters to those bad decisions, no matter what their excuse.

...complain to your elected representative. Tell them to change the system so these people can't waste *our* money.
Wow. Well worth repeating!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #40
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

If it wasn't God's will, then it was Satan's fault. If neither of those apply, then we need to take personal responsibility for it. But only as a last resort....
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
If it wasn't God's will, then it was Satan's fault. If neither of those apply, then we need to take personal responsibility for it. But only as a last resort....
You're right. I was too pissy about it and I do take responsibility for it. Sorry to anyone I ticked off.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #42
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Stormie made my point. That's awesome.

I have to live with every bad thing I have ever done. I can't give it to something that does not exist. I have to fess to it, to myself. Then make the changes that need to be made. My sins are my sins and I did not approve a god to kill theirselves for my sins. Don't kill yourself or be killed for any sin of mine. You do not have my approval. They are mine. Kthnx. I haven't done anything that bad anyway. No one needs more gruesome death to be forgiven. That is faulty thinking. I am capable of saving myself. I am capable of living with my own sins. I am capable of forgiving myself. No one needs to do that for me. It's for me to do. If I have hurt someone it is up to me to make amends, and god isn't going to do it for me.

If you disagree, may god forgive me.

I know people feel more comfortable thinking that they have been forgiven by a great power. But I don't live that way. I'm not always comfortable because I have to work on my issues. I can forgive myself when I have done something about them, and an outside entity managing it will not help. That will just give me more wiggle room to keep screwing up now won't it? When I manage it myself I have good character. When I do for myself and then others why would an outside force be compelled to get involved?

Can any of you say that you don't need to be forgiven by god? I can. I can't even figure out what being forgiven by god even involves. I owe no entities an explanation. And if I do, then god itself needs to let me know, because I am currently unaware of being involved with anything that wants to micro-manage my responsibilites, my screw-ups, or my good qualities.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #43
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Can any of you say that you don't need to be forgiven by god?
Yup.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #44
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I would be grateful if I were forgiven by the people I hurt.

But I also accept that sometimes the hurt is out of proportion to the action. I see that from both sides.

I have had someone claiming near-fatal hurt for something that didn't warrant it. I have also suffered for years over a hurt that was not intended and was possibly prolonged by my own sense of drama (although I believed in the honesty of physically felt emotions at the time).

You know I don't believe in God. But I also don't believe in fate, true love, luck etc. If you said my life was therefore barren I'sd agree. Apart from the therefore part. If I was beautiful, it would differ. And that makes a big difference in your belief systems. Trust me.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #45
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
If you said my life was therefore barren I'sd agree. Apart from the therefore part. If I was beautiful, it would differ. And that makes a big difference in your belief systems. Trust me.
I respectfully disagree. Beauty does not make for a full, wonderful life. I know many utterly miserable, gorgeous people.