The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #16
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
This idiot said she cares more about horses in any event in the industry, not to just include racing, than the reputation and livelyhood of the jockey who rode the horse "8 Bells".
This statement troubles me a bit, because on the relative scale of things I think she's right. We're talking about the practice of an entire industry and the mistreatment of thousands of animals v. one guy's suspension. I tend to agree that the scales tip in favor of the animals here--after all, they're not breeding dangerous unstable physiology into jockeys.

That said, I don't think it's the jockey's fault--it's the industry and breeders as a whole, who are breeding animals with "ankles like glass" for their own amusement.

I don't like PETA's tactics, but I'm glad somebody is advocating for animals.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
TThat said, I don't think it's the jockey's fault--it's the industry and breeders as a whole, who are breeding animals with "ankles like glass" for their own amusement.
And they are just chasing the money that we, the public, are throwing at them. And yet, if I went to the tracks or watched a race on TV, I wouldn't feel responsible for the horses, because I'm just a spectator.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #18
Cloud

yes, that's a good point, glatt. Either way, the horses are suffering for people's greed. Put that way, the suspension of the jockey is an apt monetary punishment--although I think it would be better aimed at the owner of the horse.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Bull shit. Stuff happens. This is the sport. They can protest all they want but why allow their idiocy affect the behaivor of a hundreds year old sport. More PC gone wild. Just tell the PETA people that they don't have to come to the track and bet.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #20
Cloud

a hundreds year old sport? try thousands, and those ancestral horses ran just fine without overbreeding and such severe instability. Sorry, but I can't agree.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #21
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The idea that the horses are bred for skinny legs that do not support their weight in the races is a straw man argument foisted by the likes of PETA to make their case. I just don't buy it.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #22
Cloud

well, I'm not going to support the peta people, because they are so out of line, but I don't understand how this could happen. why did both those horse's ankles just snap? why did Barbaro's ankles shatter? the "ankles like glass" comment didn't come from the peta people (it came from another news story, which I can't find right now). The racing industry is saying, "well that just happens. horses have always gotten hurt." I'm not sure I buy that either.

just trying to understand. I was even contemplating going one day to see the Kentucky Derby--now I'm not sure I want to. That would be a dream trip, and to have it end like that would be a nightmare.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #23
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
PeTA's public image became one of fanaticism and antagonism with no regard for the rights of human animals. That sort of public profile makes all animal rights supporters look bad. And that's not good for the animals.
'tis true. Everytime I read something about PETA, I get an urge to messily devour something cute, cuddly, and alive right in front of one of their stupid protests. And I love animals.

Anyone remember this article? I thought it was hilarious, and not in the way the author meant it to be hilarious.
Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #24
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

My sister works at an equine facility (university veterinary hospital) and the vets maintain that humans trying to breed a faster horse have compromised the animal's basic structure, particularly skeletal development. Combine that with heavy training, running while carrying weight, and their immaturity spells doom for some of those animals.

Of course, the vets generally only see horses that are harmed by racing, but I tend to believe that they are sincerely concerned.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #25
Drax
Banned

Anyone remember this?

Parts 1, 2, & 3:

I like my cats and my dogs, and would never want anything happen to them, but at the same time, I know that the animals are basically running the same risks humans are. We're just as much part of the food chain as they are, and there is almost no difference in testing on animals and testing on humans.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thanks Drax - interesting if slightly too strident for my taste.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

You know, when horses live as the wild animals they once were and still are, their risk of death and destruction are far higher every day (and far less humane in general), even than that for racehorses who one must say, are among the most pampered of all animals. Except maybe for Paris's dog.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #28
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
PETA was founded, and is run by, a woman.
That doesn't mean that she, or the members of her staff, don't hate women. In fact, I'm getting the idea that they prefer animals to anyone..this includes women.

I think the commercial makes their values very clear. They were very proud of it whilst everyone else was f'ing disgusted.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #29
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
You know, when horses live as the wild animals they once were and still are, their risk of death and destruction are far higher every day (and far less humane in general), even than that for racehorses who one must say, are among the most pampered of all animals. Except maybe for Paris's dog.
Human interference with natural breeding and selection is hardly ever of direct benefit to the animals. Over-nutrition and other luxuries compound the health issues. So sure, race horses lead pampered lives ~ but only because they often lack the hardiness to survive without artificially high standards for feed, medical care, and other basics. I think it's less fair to an animal to breed them into total reliance on human care than to let nature takes its course - or its horse.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I've seen plenty of racehorses go ferral without too much trouble. I don't agree with your argument. I don't believe it's factual.