The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

At risk of jacking your thread... did I ever lose the mojo? Let's flashback to a year ago . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I learned it's time to hang up my gig bag. I no longer have the edge I need to play.
Quote:
It wasn't one off day, it was the culmination of a series of declining efforts, climaxing in the sloppiest performance I've given in about 15 years. When I keep practicing and it doesn't sound better, it's time to quit.
Quote:
But unless something drastic happens I'm not likely to change my mind. It's completely irrational to expect that I play at the same level as in the late 1980s (when I was a full-time music student) but I've now fallen so short of that peak that I can't deal with it.
Quote:
It might partially be motivation. It's likely a combination of a lot of things. It's like this: 3 years ago the orchestra I play in did a piece where I had a brutally difficult solo. I practiced it to death and then I played the hell out of it. This semester I had an equally difficult solo and I practiced it to death and I never did get it right. If it was an isolated incident I could (maybe) shrug it off but it's just another example of how I'm past my peak. I'd rather go out when I can still play.

Also, you're all very nice and encouraging, which I appreciate, don't get me wrong. But none of you have actually ever heard me play. For all you know I suck ass and I'd be doing the world a great favor if I set my horns on fire.
I'm still pretty unhappy with my playing, and considering it's a 45 minute drive each way to my orchestra rehearsal, I have a lot of incentive to quit. I haven't for mostly political reasons, and because the conductor programmed two of my favorite pieces of all time, including one that I literally thought I would never have a chance to play in my lifetime.

Anyway. In 20/20 hindsight, I believe this is the depression speaking. (Not motivated? Check. Blaming myself for things beyond my control? Check. Inability to enjoy things I used to like doing? Check.)

EDIT: I'm just explaining (maybe) me... not saying that's what's going on with you, Sun_Sparkz.

Last edited by SteveDallas; 03-28-2007 at 10:36 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote