The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #121
wolf
lobber of scimitars

All I know for sure is that feminists screwed up The Mummers.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #122
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Then thank them for me. I've been here (Philly burbs) for 30 years or so and seen the parade live a couple times. Still just isn't my kinda fun.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #123
warch
lurkin old school

I'm a feminist. Proud to be, however you want to spin it. I believe that women and men should be valued equally as human beings. And feminism exists because of the vast histories of this not being the case.

I am thankful for the uppity grandmas that got spit on and thrown in jail to give me the vote and allow me to go to college. Oh, and that dared to "plan their parenthood". I am very glad to have been born in the last half of the 20th century in North America, and of moderate white privilege. If you think the concerns of feminists are passe, trivial, then you really haven't been paying attention to Afghanistan, Sudan, France, Pakistan, Thailand, etc., etc.

Let's look at those tough US female fighter pilots again!
Yeah, I'm a feminist.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #124
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
And the neighbors were aggressive, marauding, egocentric males, so it's really no surprise.

The more things change...
That's exactly my point. Any government/society that wants a piece of this planet has to be strong enough to hold it. Patriarchal societies usually make that a priority, sometimes at the expense of everything else, whereas Matriarchal societies stress social improvement.

Since social improvement is desirable and strength necessary, the best solution is a balanced society where both sexes have input, both are respected and listened to. But that means nobody gets everything their own way.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #125
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

To build a country you have to work in stages. First you have to establish a base then you have to improve it. Doing only one will just lead to failure.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:09 AM   #126
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, it's neither hard to find or believe.
Alrighty then.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #127
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Since social improvement is desirable and strength necessary, the best solution is a balanced society where both sexes have input, both are respected and listened to. But that means nobody gets everything their own way.
And there we have it: the Utopian society of which we dream.

I agree Bruce. I just wish strength weren't so necessary. What is in us that makes us want to conquer, own, and control? As we evolve, will we ever lose the primal urges of our ancestors?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #128
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

No, because the minute we do, someone else will come along who hasn't lost those urges and wipe us out. It is a very effective survival skill to want to conquer, own and control.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #129
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or somebody will want what you've got and take it if they can. You can only have what you can defend. And being the biggest bad-ass on the block doesn't guarantee the bigger bad-ass on the next block won't covet your stuff.

So ladies, get involved in the process of running this country....you are the majority, remember. Grind down, or replace, the politicians until they give you the schools, parks, social programs, or whatever you want. Just never make the mistake, that the boys and their tanks and planes are just big over priced play toys. Defending what you've got, is very serious business and paramount to the utopia you want.

Get real, you're never gonna have it all. But rather than grouse about it, why not see how much you can get by getting involved. You may be surprised.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #130
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
No, because the minute we do, someone else will come along who hasn't lost those urges and wipe us out. It is a very effective survival skill to want to conquer, own and control.
I was speaking of mankind in general, not us and them.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #131
Shawnee123

Quote:
Or somebody will want what you've got and take it if they can. You can only have what you can defend. And being the biggest bad-ass on the block doesn't guarantee the bigger bad-ass on the next block won't covet your stuff.

So ladies, get involved in the process of running this country....you are the majority, remember. Grind down, or replace, the politicians until they give you the schools, parks, social programs, or whatever you want. Just never make the mistake, that the boys and their tanks and planes are just big over priced play toys. Defending what you've got, is very serious business and paramount to the utopia you want.

Get real, you're never gonna have it all. But rather than grouse about it, why not see how much you can get by getting involved. You may be surprised.
Wow, I didn't think I was grousing...just thinking and expressing.

Guess I'll slowly back out of this thread. It's obviously dedicated solely to fact and leaves no room for pondering.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #132
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

What is in us that makes us want to conquer, own, and control? As we evolve, will we ever lose the primal urges of our ancestors?

The Swiss seem to have managed it.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #133
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Maybe the conquering part, but I think they're still pretty attached to owning and controlling the land of Switzerland. They certainly wouldn't just politely hand it over without a fuss if someone else wanted it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #134
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well there's not really anything wrong with wanting to control your own country. It's the conquering urge that causes conflict.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #135
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Being small and landlocked may have something to do with their desire to avoid conflict.