The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Having seen this article in our local newspaper yesterday, I thought that it might be worth resurrecting this topic.

First of all, it's sponsored content by the Ordnance Survey (UK Mapping Agency) so there's a commercial axe to grind.

Secondly, no survey that didn't support the commissioning body's interests has ever seen the light of day.

With those caveats in mind, I think that there is probably more than a kernel of truth in it.

Extract....

Quote:
Brits Can’t Find Capital City

British adults have no idea where Manchester, Birmingham – and even London feature on a map, a study has found. A poll of 2,000 people found more than four in ten struggle to pinpoint the nation’s capital on a map of the UK, while another 86 per cent have no idea where Edinburgh should be. And almost one in ten put the Isles of Scilly, found off the coast of Cornwall, in place of the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea, while another one in twenty believe they sit off the western coast of Scotland. The locations of Newcastle, Cardiff and Oxford also left many scratching their heads. It also emerged just four in ten can confidently read a map with another 44 per cent admitting they have no idea what traditional map symbols mean. A spokesman for Ordnance Survey, which commissioned the research as part of National Map Reading Week, taking place in October, said: “Great Britain is relatively small, yet it seems many of us struggle to pinpoint the positions of cities and locations which may not even be that far from where we live.
It always strikes me as a bit odd that so many people have little knowledge, and even less interest, as to how they fit into the great geographic scheme of things.

I've always considered knowing where you are in relation to other towns, villages, landmarks etc as being a fundamental part of our make up.

Perhaps it's just me!

Complete article here: Bucks Herald