The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Archer
off target

Welfare

This has been bugging me fore a couple of weeks (though it floats around in the back of my head from time to time). I've bounced the question off a few friends, but kind of curious what others think about it.

Why do we give perfectly healthy adult citizens money, food and housing? Children, those with disabilities (mental or physical), and the elderly, I can understand, to a point, but why the remainder of adults?

What responsibility do we, as a society (or as individuals) have to this group of people?

Everyone has a right to do (or not do) whatever they want, as long as it does not negatively impact someone else (without their consent). Taxes for defense, roads, even environmental concerns directly impact each individual, and (usually) does so in a positive manner (security, ease of transportation, clean air), so how does welfare benefit the whole of society?

So what good comes from welfare?

Personally, I don't like welfare. That said, I have an issue with allowing any child to come in harms way due to the actions of their parents (or the state, depending on who is caring for them). I really don't think society does a very good job with children right now; too many other things are prioritized ahead of children.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote