The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #1
blue
Operations Operative

Dirt poor?

OK, I quit reading that other thread about 3 pages in, but it got me to thinking.....have you ever been dirt poor?

We we're semi-poor when I was growing up, went on food stamps awhile, didn't have much in the way of luxuries...I used to get my ass spanked big time If I so much as looked at the thermostat.

But, we always had a roof over our head, never went hungry (anyone remember those HUGE shredded wheat things? Way different than frosted minis).

Anyways, about 15 years ago I was making minimum ($2.85 I think), living on my own in my own apartment. No health insurance, no car, no savings...got paid weekly, had about $5 to spare every week. No shit, after the bills were paid I had $5 fucking dollars).

I stocked my fridge with Bread, Bologna, Mustard, Onions, Popcorn, and Kool-Aid. I made every imaginable sandwich out of ALL of the above, got very creative with toasting and what not.

But looking back, it sucked, but it wasn't all bad, I got paid every week so looked forward to what I could spend those extra dollars on, I actually won the very first Wisconsin lottery ever (not the big prize, was about $600, that's another story), and dug out from there.

To this day I LOVE MILK, I like sandwiches, but popcorn still makes me gag. Way too many nights hungry and no butter (we had salt). So that's not really dirt poor, but some of you must have been worse off?