Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What's in your ballot?

This election, there are the usual city council races, levy proposals, local rules changes, etc. Those are important, but kind of boring. There are some other issues on the ballot this election that are gaining *much* wider attention.

Quote:
Initiative Measure No. 522

Initiative Measure No. 522 concerns labeling of genetically-engineered foods. This measure would require most raw agricultural commodities, processed foods, and seeds and seed stocks, if produced using genetic engineering, as defined, to be labeled as genetically engineered when offered for retail sale. Should this measure be enacted into law?

Y/N
This initiative has set a new record by a wide margin for the most expensive ballot measure in state history, over 21 million dollars having been collected by the No on 522 campaign. That dwarfs the 6.3 million dollars raised by the Yes on 522 campaign. "Follow the money" as Deep Throat suggested, and when I do, I find
Quote:
The No on 522 campaign reached record ground fueled by last week’s contributions of $3.8 million from the food-industry PAC the Grocery Manufacturers Association, and $460,000 from biochemical giant Dupont Pioneer.

With $11 million in cash contributions so far, the GMA remains the No campaign’s top donor. The food-industry group — financed by Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, General Mills, NestleUSA and Conagra Foods among others — only revealed its own funders this month after Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson sued it for campaign disclosure violations.

Other top donors to the No campaign include Monsanto ($4.8 million), DuPont Pioneer ($3.9 million), Bayer Cropscience and Dow Agrosciences ($592,000 each).
I find these donors more likely to be interested in their corporate profits than in my well being. I've listened to the No claims and I'm unconvinced that it's more important to remain ignorant than it is to know what's going on with my food. My vote is YES on 522.

The other issue that might be gaining widespread attention is Proposition 1 (I don't have an exact quote, sorry) that suggests that the minimum wage be raised to $15.00 per hour. This is for a small city south of Seattle, called SeaTac, it's the city where our airport is located. The population of the city is about 25,000 people, and I've heard that as few as 4,000 people will be voting on the measure. There've been many arguments about this one and since I don't live in the city where it's on the ballot, I won't have a chance to vote on it, though I support it and I would vote YES if given the chance.

There is another one called Initiative Measure No. 517.

Here's the executive summary for this one: It's sponsored/written/contaminated by Tim Eyman, conservative political provacateur and criminal asshole. Therefore NO on anything with his stink on it. NO on 517.

Of local interest:

Prop 19, a change to the Seattle City Council method of representation to a hybrid system of districts and at-large members. I think I'm gonna vote yes.

Prop 1, a proposition to create a system of publicly funded election campaigns. I think I'm gonna vote yes.

I'm undecided about which candidate for mayor, Mike McGinn (incumbent) or Ed Murray, I'll support.

There are four "Advisory Votes" on the ballot, which are kinda weird. An advisory vote is a chance for the electorate to express their non binding opinion about something the legislature's already done. In this case, our state government changed the tax laws as part of the effort to balance our state budget. They closed four loopholes (one man's loophole is another man's incentive--an entirely different conversation). More Tim Eyman nonsense.

Washington is an entirely vote-by-mail state now, so I've had my ballot for a week or two, it's due to be postmarked by Tuesday. I'll let you know the score.