The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
But right here in the thread we have someone who has spent probably 16 years studying medicine and who does have kids. You dismiss her beliefs as conspiracy theory.
I am not sure what gave you that impression. I did ask if there were financial pressures on doctors to maintain vaccination quotas. She denied knowledge of it. I have no reason to disbelieve her on that point. It does not mean it's not happening, though.

Doctors offices are businesses. Big practices are organized like big businesses. They get paid by the job, just like a mechanic. If a young doctor in a big practice is not overseen and reviewed by seniors, I'd be very surprised. If that young doctor had a noticeably higher percentage of unvaccinated patients, there would be questions asked. That doctor I mentioned seemed quite upset that we were delaying the mmr vaccine. Not frantic, but frustrated to be sure. Maybe offended that we were questioning her recommendation. ... anyway, if she HAD seen 'so many kids die of measles' it would have HAD to have been in another country. But she didn't say that. So she was deceptive at best. She was trying to scare us into doing as she wanted.

I don't recall discounting orthos experience or acumen. Although, as far as I know, she is neither an immunologist, nor a pediatrician. What kind of Doctor is an ortho? Orthopedic? Is she qualified to offer advice or cast judgements?

I recall saying that I knew I was not going to change her mind. But, instead of affording me the same respect, she chose to lecture me on the benefits of vaccines, and she chose to state that I smeared all hard working physicians by questioning their motivation. She chose to talk down to me as though I were ignorant about this topic. I'm not. I may not have the same priorities as she does, but I'm not uninformed. I know that the sun causes the rooster to crow.

A Phd does not confer intelligence. It does not even mean you have a better source of information anymore. She mentioned journals. Who publishes those? It's not conspiracy. It's business. Pharma companies see doctors as front line salespeople. If any one has a biased source of information, Its doctors. Couple that with the inherent superiority complex they usually develop, and I'm sorry, but I'll think for myself. I accept the information she offers. I'll weigh it against the risk myself.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote