Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

A new grandchild on the way but not from the child I expected

Wow, just got word that we are to have grandchild #14 in about 6 months. This one is from my offspring as opposed to my wife's kids but it came as quite a surprise as it won't be from my older 2 sons who are married but from my daughter (child #4) who isn't married but has been in a relationship with the father for 4 or 5 years.

I am excited for them and always grateful for another member of the family, they were planing on getting married in a year or so anyway. The fact they are not married isn't a big deal to me as the baby came from love and they will figure it all out and how to adapt their lives. My daughter works in a high end restaurant in SF and is also studying for her Master Sommelier exam, guess she will put it on hold for awhile or at least the tasting part. The dad was married once and has 2 kids which he and my daughter care for based on visitation, he is a good dad and I think she will be good mother.

About the only thing I worry about is his legal status as he is the product of an overstayed visa, he is a Mexican national. He has a fairly good paying job also in the food service industry but I wonder what his future will look like and if he can find a way to be legal given the current anti-illegal immigrant sentiment here now. I try not to judge others, I have my own colorful past and I've made a few mistakes over the years and at age 27 my daughter has been out on her own for almost 9 years and is an adult. Every soul has their own journey to make so I am happy for them. And after all as the saying goes, omnia vincit amor.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote