The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

But can I make a living at it?

The past six+ months since Him and I moved here have been kind of .. well a bit of limbo. For two years we'd been so focused on getting the house ready to sell and then getting it sold and where were we going to move to..... and then *poof* all that was done.

So been quietly looking for new foci - where am I going from here? And yes there's the baking and the dogs and getting the gardens established, would like to be working on the house but there's no cash for that. But really, I need a job, the rest of it feels like a hobby and it might one day become a job - but not till there's some investment capital.

So, I've been looking at my skills. We're pretty blessed rural so outside work is a bit scarce. I need internet based work. As it turned out the perfect job kinda fell into my lap - utilizing my aviation industry experience and my past involvement with animal rescue and my general organizational prowess and I became the PETSCORT coordinator for Pilots N Paws Canada (I put together volunteers flying commercially with rescues that need to transport an animal and facilitate all that). Then this morning the Atlantic Canada Weather Facebook page offered me an admin position to contribute and update on weather conditions in my area. Again - right up my alley, combining my feature article writing abilities and my weather geeking.

Both are intensely satisfying, present their own challenges, are interesting and I get a lot of support and kindness from the people I'm working with. Neither is all that terribly time consuming right now, and I can more or less work at my own pace - when it fits into my life.

In other words - the perfect jobs - for me - at this stage of my life. Only problem is:

They don't pay a dime.

I keep thinking there's got to be a way to parlay this into a little income. I run my own lifestyle blog - but that doesn't pay either. But I know there are folks out there doing freelance internet 'stuff' and making a wee bit of money at it (no I don't expect to be pulling in 6 bills). Thing is I don't do ghost writing well, I can't 'sound' like anyone but myself, but I can write like myself very well. My google-fu is second only to Him's. I'm redesigning and maintaining my daughter's professional art website. I'm not a bad photographer, and getting better, and I'm fairly adept with making photo-essay books. I have skills - I'm just not sure how to turn them into making some kind of a living.

So mad mad mad mad Cellarites .... give me some mad mad mad mad idea ......