The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

How do I "scrub" an old computer with Widows XP?

I find myself in the position of middleman between one friend who is selling a computer and another friend who is buying it. Neither one of my friends knows much about computers. I know a little more about PC's than either one of them - which means not much - so it has fallen to me to get the computer set to go for a new owner. Normally, I would just reformat it and reload a copy of Windows XP back on the hard drive. Problem is my friend who is the buyer is broke - which is why she is buying an old PC along with a newer printer for just $100.00. She can't afford to buy an over-priced Windows XP CD from Microsoft. I have no use for Windows XP, so I don't want to buy it either.

Is there some other way of cleaning up the hard drive without having the complete version of XP on hand? Or is there somewhere I might be able to snag an inexpensive XP version?

I've done a quick and dirty search on the Internet, and that damned XP is being sold for around $160.00 (if you can find a recent website for it). That's insane for a program that became history 4 years ago. GRRRRR!

*sigh* The things I get myself into.

Last edited by IamSam; 03-08-2013 at 02:25 AM.
IamSam is offline   Reply With Quote