The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I think they are very different.

Bitch is always a woman or an insult to a man by calling him a woman. You can be a bitch one day, and then not be a bitch the next. It's about attitude. Or maybe you are always a bitch. But then that's just the way you are. (Not you, Monster.)

Slut is someone who is promiscuous. But in a bad way. And using that word is making a judgement on the worth of the person forever. They are unclean. In the gutter. The lowest.
There's probably an element of cultural difference here too. A slut can just be a slovenly woman with no reference to sexuality, so it just doesn't have the strong slur to it for me. I often refer to myself as a slut in the messy/poor houseworking sense. I just checked the Oxford and the slovernly aspect gets far more coverage than the sexual one and is the first meaning given. Also Brits are generally less hung up about sex and booze (and more hung up about guns and violence)

I also noticed "slut wool" being given as a term for "dust bunnies"

To me, being a dick and being a bitch are two completely different behaviours that have very little to do with gender. And they're both just words, neither is really worse than the other.