The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #22
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
On the financial side, the black guy might have access to all sorts of scholarships the white guy does not.
I still see it as a wash, cause the white guy might have access to all sorts of scholarships the black guy does not.

The bias underlies a tradition of bars that still live. The arguement is really whether or not we've reached a level. In terms of color, dont think so, yet. Its so economically/educationally tied. And AA is just one aid. Hopefully someday though.

I actually do think so in terms of overall populations of women. AA has worked well. I think I read that more women graduate college than men these days. With the help of stuff like title 9, girls are kicking academic and actual butt in HS too. Some careers maybe underrepresented, but perhaps not for long or not because there are continued bars to access.

I have run into a tiny bit of gender, patronizing crap on the job, mostly when I was younger from older men and women. Eh. Nothing lately. There are the ongoing cultural time warp shits, like "why dont you have kids?", being a target of male attack walking at night, "dont be such a bitch" when you are simply stating an assertive request... geeze!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote