The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Internet attitude/get off my lawn

Maybe this belongs more in the philosophy thread or something, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

I don't know how immersed in internet culture/sub-culture/sub-sub-cultures folks here are, but I was wondering if anybody ever starts feeling a little sick of it. Memes, repetition, cool wars, video games for 18 hours a day, trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls, racism is funny, gay is an epithet, things that aren't gay are EPIC WINS and everything is FOR THE LULZ and put on your cool face and communicate everything with bad spelling in 140 character status updates or captioned pictures thrown around again and again and again...

Where does it stop? At what point do we actually start losing our humanity, capacity for deep thought and expression of individual personality and creativity?

Some of it is fun, but when does the nihilistic fun end and the real part begin? I wonder if the technology is moving too fast for the culture sometimes, leaving us in some sort of perpetual state of confused social flux of anonymity and dickheadery. What's happening to the youth, and what's happening to the adults? I'm not really sure, but my head sort of hurts.

anybody have any thoughts on what it all means and where it's all headed?
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote