The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

ADVIL! Nooooooooooooo!!!!!

SEARCH AND SEIZURE: A student told a teacher at Parkview High School in Bossier City, La., that sophomore Amanda Stiles was smoking in the bathroom. The teacher confronted Stiles and searched her purse, but found no cigarettes or lighters. She did, however, find something else: Advil, an over-the-counter medication used to relieve headaches and menstrual cramps. "Pills!" screamed the school administrators. Possessing drugs on campus is a "zero tolerance" infraction, they point out, so they expelled Stiles for a year. The expulsion was upheld by the School Board's administrative committee and Superintendent Ken
Kruithof. (Shreveport Times) ...Thus perpetuating their smug satisfaction that they're "doing something" about the "drug problem."

ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE: Even though Houston, Texas, school Superintendent Rod Paige ordered all schools in his district to expel violent students four years ago, teachers complain students who assault and harass them are still in class. Houston Federation of Teachers union President
Gayle Fallon says principals aren't expelling violent kids since that decreases funding. A district spokesman denies that claim, saying schools get $15 per day per student, and "no principal in their right mind is going to keep a dangerous kid in their school for $15."
(Houston Chronicle) ...Right: not when they can have much more fun getting rid of kids armed with Advil.

Teachers and students are being assaulted by kids with guns and knives, and they're worried about ADVIL....

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote