The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

My adventure today

I wanted to do a 10-mile bike ride. I had so much to do, so I decided to kill several birds with one stone and bike to the new Walmart 6ish miles away to see what it was like/grab a few things we need.

Despite the fact that we like in an awesome college town with every amenity, we're right next to the countryside, and after one mile I was biking between corn field, then I switched onto the dirt roads -which was a little hairy in places, especially because there was a strong headwind, but oh so beautiful. Through meadows and corn fields and a wildlife preserve, past little ponds and huge red barns, over the level crossing and then after 5 miles Walmart popped up like a barnacle!

Just after I locked up my bike and got a cart, i got the dreaded phonecall just after school got out to say they'd missed the bus ....only they hadn't, they were just checking they were supposed to me on it... *phew* With a 30 minute ride home and then a 20 minute car ride to school, they'd've been waiting a long time.....

Found most of the stuff I need in a sparkly new Walmart not infested with the dregs of life like the one closer to me, hardly any line, then back home again, this time with a tail wind on the main section of dirt road (side wind most of the way, though). It is rather windy, but a gorgeous sunny 26Celcius (maybe 77F?)

12.5 miles, one hour's actual cycling and I'm still alive!