The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Nirvana
Back in 10

Angry Sex offender castration, necessary? I think so...

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=12425136

Quote:
Police say Logansport 4-year-old was raped

Logansport - Police say they are talking to a person of interest in the suspected rape of a four-year-old girl in Logansport.

A city worker driving past spotted the girl crying at the corner of Plum and Linden, a block from her house, around 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

"She was crying, wearing her nightgown, told him she was going home," said Logansport Police Lt. Cathi Collins.

The child then went home and went to sleep.

"Her siblings awoke and realized she was in disarray and woke mom up," Lt. Collins said.

The mother later called police, saying the girl had been beaten, choked and raped.

"Horrible. I think in the 30 years I've been here, it's probably the worst I've seen," Lt. Collins said.

By Tuesday afternoon, police had located a person of interest and officers walked every inch of the neighborhood.

"Wanted to know if we saw anything and, no, unfortunately, we didn't see a thing," said neighbor Joellen Roberts.

Police asked everyone with a garage for permission to search their garage. Folks said yes. Police wanted to inspect garages because they have evidence the assault occurred in a garage.

Investigators think they've found the crime scene, a garage very close to the preschooler's house. It's unclear how she ended up in that garage sometime between 3:00 and 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

Checking the state's sex offender registry, 22 violent and sex offenders appear within a mile of the girl's house. Some of them are classified as sexual predators. Eight of the offenders are within a half-mile of the home.

"In a park right in the neighborhood and stuff, you know, it's not good at all," said a neighbor.

An arrest will calm fears in the Cass County town.

"You almost want to keep her on a leash, because it's really scary to think that it happened this close to home," said Raine Monahan, the grandmother of a four-year-old.

"I've got a three-year-old, so it's like, it could happen to him. And now I'm like, I won't even let him go outside. Not anymore," said another neighbor. "It's crazy, it's sickening."

Because the victim is so young, there are questions, such as, "How did the suspect get access to her?" The police say there are no signs of forced entry at the home, but windows were left open at the house that night.

The girl is recovering and out of the hospital after the alleged assault.