Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh happy days!!

We nailed down the final piece of the puzzle in Minifob's unending diarrhea.

It was all because of the... coconut. We had suspicions, because when we gave him this new (awesome, wonderful, and now can-never-be-eaten-again ) coconut yogurt, his poop actually got worse. I wouldn't have thought such a thing was possible, but it was. But it's not like he's having coconut all the time, we mused to ourselves--oh, wait, what's that? There's coconut in the vitamins he takes every single day? Well, what an opportune time for the nutritionist to tell us to go ahead and stop all vitamins for two weeks so we can get a baseline on his pee and poop tests.

And sure enough, three days later we had real, solid poo! I was still leaving room for the possibility that it was something else in the vitamins causing it, but then we gave him a piece of his (old and stale at this point, but it was all we had) birthday cake, which had coconut sprinkles on top. Diarrhea came back. Hyperactivity came back. Now, a little over 48 hours later, all is well again. VICTORY IS MINE.

Thursday is sample collection day. Then we do the "proctologist's special," and then we can start him back up on some different vitamins that are not tainted with the aforementioned big hairy nuts.

In other news, a friend of mine's husband has been diagnosed with Celiac disease, and they're pretty sure the 9-month-old baby has it too. So I'm helping her get acclimated to her huge new lifestyle change. Now, if I can just get the other friend whose son has a number of behavior and digestive problems to put her kid on the diet, we'll be at an even 50-50 in the Sunday school class.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autism, food intolerance