The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #1
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

XP LAN help needed

OK, so I finally broke down and bought a router (D-Link DI-604). Hooked it all up to two computers, one running XP Pro (mine) the other running XP home (Steve's box)

Both comps are online through the router, but for some reason, the whole "home network" thing refuses to happen. I've checked the MS help files, and I've called on all the knowledge that nearly 3 years as a broadband internet tech has to offer, and I still can't figure out why this frigging LAN won't work.

When I go to "My Network Places" (MNP), I see my shared folders and some FTP folders. I click on "Add a new network place" and it searches briefly, then comes up with the MSN butterfly and "Choose another network", which I do. I then browse, and get an "entire network" and then my shared folders. I click on entire network and then get a Microsoft Windows Network option. I choose that, my workgroup appears. Choose that, my computer sits there pretty as you please, but Steve's is no where to be found.

I assumed this means it's Steve's comp having the problem.

Iclick on My Network Places on Steve's box and get only an FTP folder.. I click on "Add a netwrok place" it does the search thingy, and I "choose another network".

When I browse, I see entire network, click it, get MS Windows Network, and see my workgroup. (same as the one on my machine.) When I click the workgroup name, nothing happens. I don't get Steves machine displayed. Like it's not in the Workgroup.

So I went to the computer name area, and click change to make sure the workgroup is correct. It is. So I went back the MNP and chose "View Network Computers". Nothing is in there.

I've made sure his C: drive is shared and that the XP firewall is off on both machines. Made sure his Norton Personal Firewall is NOT starting up with the machine. Still nothing.

How the hell do I get this thing into the workgroup? I KNOW it's something simple I've over looked...

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote