The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm doing proper cookery for my parents at the moment. And loving it.
Some of the recipes will need to be tweaked before I make them again, but it's a case of try it and see first time round.

They're all low fat, high in fibre and designed to squeeze in as many of our 5-a-day as possible (recommended portions of fruit/ vegetables for a healthy lifestyle).

So far this week we have had Nasi Goreng (needed spicing up), Turkey Meatloaf (more turkey, less courgettes) and Tandoori Chicken (take out of the oven sooner - dried out a bit).

Today's dinner is Mediterranean Fish Stew. And coming up this week is Chicken Goulash with Dumplings, Cheesey Leeks, Tuna and Sweetcorn Pasta Bake and Roast Pork Chops stuffed with Apple.

My Mum loves it. For the last 40 years she has been in chrage of cooking everything in this house, except on Friday nights and Saturday lunchtimes (Dad's domain). Yes, my Dad did his fair share when they both worked shifts, but that meant cooking for us while she was working, not cooking for her. Now she's getting meals which she knows are good for her, cooked from scratch, and I also plan everything out in advance and make sure we have all the right ingredients and as little as possible goes to waste. Oh and I cook very different things that she would, which is always nice.

It's making me feel very good about being here.

I'd like to make a low fat anchovy sauce for serving with fish, or maybe as a side to liven up rice. I'd rather not have it oil based, use a creme fraiche instead, but the only creme fraiche sauces I've found use anchovy paste - which we don't have - instead of anchovies in oil, which we do.

Lemon and a dash of Tabasco feature in most recipes - yup, have those too.

Any ideas on how to put it together?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes