The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2003, 11:09 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/4/2003: Elephant reflectors

There are more animal-related shots in the queue than anything else, partly because I stay vigilant for animal pics for the Friday images. I think part of it is that the regular news people are often on vacation in July and August, which makes the usual collections of shots less interesting. (That's the real reason I'm taking Sundays off this month... fewer good images out there right now.)

I thought this was in interesting note. Having grown up near Amish country in Pennsylvania, I've seen a ton of ancient buggies and animals outfitted with modern reflectors and such to keep up with the law. Well here we see that this is not just a problem with the Amish. And we've already had one IotD where an elephant was killed in an auto accident,...

So this seems like a good idea: elephant mahouts (Mahout, n. - The keeper and driver of an elephant, esp. east India) have been putting reflectors on the elephant's legs and butt to make sure cars can see them at night. It's not the law, just a good idea.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote