The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

ASUS Eee PC

I just bought one of these gadgets; it came on the big brown truck today. I had a HELL of a time getting it to connect to my wireless router (2 desktops and 1 other laptop connect, no problem) but finally got it working and I hope it's not just a fluke. I also hope it has no problem connecting to Wifi hotspots elsewhere, because that's the whole reason I bought the thing - portable Internet.

It's such a cute, tiny little thing - weighs about 2 pounds, about the same dimensions as a trade paperback book. Cramped keyboard, but do-able for those with small fingers (women and kids?); as it said in a review I read, "OK for e-mail but you wouldn't want to write a novel on it." 4 gig hard drive, Linux OS, no cd-rom but it does have a port for memory cards.

I got it to take to college with me this fall; the school's all wi-fied, and since I'm a middle-aged mom trying to run a business and everything else while going to class full time, being able to get online and work on projects between classes is a godsend. And nifty too, not having to haul a regular sized laptop around; my books are heavy enough. (I got one today in the mail that is 4" thick, no joke!) The 2 gig version is less, but the 4 gig cost me $375.

Just wondered if anybody else had one of these little critters, and what do you think? Tips, tricks, caveats?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote