The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Coign
Wanted Driver

November 7, 2007: Plane lands on I-70

This happened within 10 miles of where I live on Oct 10th last month. At work we got the e-mail the freeway had closed. About 30 minutes later we heard why.

(I think you need to sign up to read the whole article but I have not recieved any spam from my local newspaper.)
http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20071011/NEWS/71010026

From the article:

Quote:
David Kunkel seemed unusually calm after he landed his plan on Interstate 70 Wednesday afternoon.

“It was pretty much a normal landing,” Kunkel said.

Kunkel, 62, of Meeker, was heading from Denver to his hometown when he made an emergency landing on Interstate 70 next to the Eagle County airport Wednesday afternoon, the Colorado State Patrol said.

Kunkel landed in the westbound lanes between Eagle and Gypsum around 1 p.m. after his engine failed, the State Patrol said.

Kunkel lost one engine and then another and would have crashed if he had not landed his Cessna 340 on the interstate, he said.

“I wasn’t going to quite make it,” he said.

There were no reports of injuries, and no cars had to swerve to avoid the plane, the State Patrol said. The westbound lanes between Gypsum and Eagle were closed about an hour and a half.