The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Ok try paying attention. The part where I said i didn't know what any of this means was in reference to your statement I highlighted in bold which was this.

Also I not once said america was the most violent nation in the world.
Your original post, all I see in America is violence, it's rampant. That's where I disagree. You make it seem like all US news is about criminal acts and violence and that's what you think of the country as. The violence makes the news of course, but it doesn't mean we are all about violence. It is not rampant, we do not have massacres everyday, every month, every year. American cities are not about killing and violence. I will never believe violence is "rampant" in American cities.

rampant -
1. violent in action or spirit; raging; furious: a rampant leopard.
2. growing luxuriantly, as weeds.
3. in full sway; prevailing or unchecked: a rampant rumor.

It is not growing, it is not unchecked. Just because we have violence does not mean the USA does nothing about it. So for you to call it "rampant" is false. I'm from Chicago and when I think of the Windy City crime is not the first thing that comes to mind, not at all. It (and many and most American cities) has a lot more positive than negative aspects to it. Sure go ahead and tell me about Al Capone and the mob, but then I'll tell you that was 90 years ago. I could go and be ignorant and claim the movie Rush Hour perceives Hong Kong as strictly a drug trafficking, gang infested murder port but that would be wrong as well. It is not rampant, end of story. Rwanda has rampant violence. The USA does not.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote