The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

September 12, 2006: Topless Madonna protester [NSFW] [NSFAnybody]

Naked protest has been an IotD staple before, but after a while there was too much of it and it sorta became played out. And then it went away for a while, except for PETA girls in cages. This one is more curious.

The shot is from a Spanish news site, 20minutos.es, so the official caption reads Un mujer con una cruz y la palabra "Libertad" escrita en su pecho es llevada por la policía en una protesta contra Madonna, en Ámsterdam. Una escena del show de la cantante en la que está colgada de una cruz levanta controversia entre los cristianos holandeses.

Babelfish translates: A woman with a cross and the word "Freedom" written in her chest is taken by the police in a protest against Madonna, in Amsterdam. A scene of the show of the singer in whom it is hung of a cross raises controversy between the Dutch Christians.

I think I got it. But there are a few cultural oddities here which I don't get.

How is it that this person is protesting Madonna's weird attention-seeking mix of the cross and sexuality... by putting on a cross and flashing 'em?

Is it protest because she's, you know, kind of nasty-lookin' as compared to Madonna? Or because she does it in public as opposed to on stage?

How does "freedom" relate to all this?

And lastly, er, is that a man?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote