The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
headsplice
Relaxed

Actually, I do think that's possible. Look at Lebanon in the past five years (I mean besides the past 5 weeks): they'd managed to almost completely rebuild the city and start to make it a major metropolitan center again.
So, where is the actual problem?
Lack of REAL US interest in the region. Specifically, this Administration's complete lack of involvement in anything that isn't killing people and blowing shit up. Progress was being made betweent the Palestinian's and the Israeli's before 2001. And then, *POOF!* no more US involvement (anyone remember the Roadmap for Peace? Where'd that go?). America might have not been everyone's favorite country, but at least we were respected enough for warring factions to listen to us when we sat them down at a table like the Camp David Accords.
So, could I tell you what the plan would actually be? I could give you a general idea: more aid to countries where terrorist groups with domestic political wings are thriving. Co-opt the domestic wing through direct, low-interest loans (since the domestic and foreign policies of these groups are often wildly different, Hamas and Hezbollah are great examples) and you'll tame the wilder, more militant foreign wing by undercutting their base of support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos
Take 2 Prozac and call me in the morning.
You're still an ass. I'm not sure if English isn't your first language or what, but I really wish you'd actually read what other people write before responding to it.

Last edited by headsplice; 08-24-2006 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Addition
headsplice is offline   Reply With Quote