Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

Too early to be thinking about this....

I'm Dad to an 11 year old girl and a 10 year old boy. Every chance we get, we talk about school. Today, my daughter tells me that she's getting teased at school. I asked for details, and was completely floored by the response.

Apparently one of the other 11 year olds is telling her that she's a lesbian because she still thinks boys are silly.I'm out of my depth here. I've told her that the other kid doesn't have a clue what she's talking about and that she's to pay her no attention. Other than that, I wasn't planning on having The Big Chat for a while yet.

First instinct is to talk to the school, and find out where their policies on peer pressure and sexuality education.Second instinct is that there must be something wrong in the other kid's world for her to be behaving this way at 11 years old.

Frankly, I'm a little creeped out. My daughter is being coerced into adolescence before she has fully experienced childhood. I'd rather she wasn't, but I'm not sure if Iwill do more harm than good by tangling ineptly with issues that I don't fully understand. I can help her with the teasing aspect, and I can reassure her that she is much loved,but where to start with The Big Chat? is she ready at 11? for that matter, am I?
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote