Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

For you hunters looking for a challenge

It looks like PA might try letting hunters use atladl. Considering the difficulty, they will probably apply bow season standards.

Pa. May Let Hunters Use Prehistoric Weapon

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td><script language=\"JavaScript\" src="http://ami.pointroll.com/PointRoll/Ads/PRScript.dll?v=87&pos=0&init=1&delay=0&push=0&set=2&bye=0"></script> <noscript><bug width='1' height='1' border='0' src='http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/bn/711-32543-1039-18?mpt=123456789&dbn=general1'/></noscript></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><script type="text/javascript"> if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr\" + \"ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.2.js></scr" + "ipt>"); </script><script type="text/javascript"> if (window.yzq_a) { yzq_a('p', 'P=9I3eFUSOwhURSIrrQ3eBYhg2RFPufkN3hT0AABKY&T=160jche1g%2fX%3d1131906365%2fE%3d89014318%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2306284553%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJJdDtpdDt0ZWNobm9sb2d5O0FtZXJpY2Ei%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d0E47BFD1'); yzq_a('a', '&U=139gh6m7p%2fN%3dUFn.fkSOxI4-%2fC%3d364166.6949991.8298514.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3071610'); } </script><noscript></noscript>
HARRISBURG, Pa. - An ancient weapon that struck fear in the hearts of Spanish conquistadors, and that some think was used to slay wooly mammoths in Florida, may soon be added to the arsenal of Pennsylvania's hunters. The state Game Commission is currently drafting proposed regulations to allow hunters to use the atlatl, a small wooden device used to propel a six-foot dart as fast as 80 mph. The commission could vote to legalize its use as early as January.

It's unclear which animals atlatlists may be allowed to hunt, but the proposal is being pushed by people who want to kill deer with a handmade weapon of Stone Age design. The name, usually pronounced AT-lad-ul, is derived from an Aztec word for "throwing board."
There have been times I've considered taking up the bow again, but this looks like much more fun.

I found two equipment sites, one that appears more traditional and another that incorporates modern techiniques. I still find it odd to call something 6 feet long a 'dart'. Interesting stuff, and the fact that even the modern versions retain many original materials and designs is interesting. You wouldn't put a modern fiberglass compound bow on a wall for display, but these wood and bone atlatl, even with modern designs, still have a simplicity of form and materials that make them fun to look at.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote