The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Stupid Things You've Done

This isn't really a prank, yet, it kind of is. I'm filing this under "stupid things I've done" because no one is really pranked and the fun is harmless.

The Coffee Cup

Coffee and donuts are inspiring foods, so as I sat at the table at the local Dunkin' Donuts contemplating the empty styrofoam cup before me, an idea struck. I cut the "spacer" ring off the bottom so the cup would sit flush against any surface, then I walked out to my car and removed a magnet I use to hold a radio microphone to the door frame. I dropped the potent magnet into the cup, replaced the sippy lid, and stuck the thing to my roof near the driver side door, ensuring that it was at a slight angle so it appeared that it would fall at any moment. The neodymium magnet held fast, even at 40mph, and I drove away.

Horns honked, pedestrians waved, and people yelled as the majority of my fellow commuters attempted to warn me, even at high speed, that I left my coffee on the roof, despite that it is ludicrous for coffee to sit on a flat roof at such velocities. The kindness somewhat restored my faith in humanity -- strangers in this cold, seemingly uncaring world were concerned for my coffee's well being! Driving through the business park and through campus caused groups of people to stop and watch, yet no speed bump nor fast turn would shake the cup. This caused some confusion and, I think, even a little frustration as some people want to see coffee spill all over the car, road, and windows. When it doesn't happen, there is dissapointment.

That night, a biker pulled up beside me. "Hey, man, you left your coffee up there."

"Yeah, I know. I'm trying to cool it off a bit." And with that, I pulled away from the stop and drove around a bend at 35mph. I wish I would have had a camera with me to capture that expression I saw in my rearview mirror. He sat at the stop sign, watching until I was out of sight.

Hard drive magnets work quite well and you can get a cup to hold at 50mph or so without much issue, although the sides and top wobble a lot with the wind. Other ideas I had included chinese takeout boxes, donut bags, 7-11 "big gulp" cups, and a baby carrier.

The baby carrier obviously pushes this stupidity too far.

I'd love to hear of other stupidity from other Cellarites.

Last edited by Kitsune; 11-04-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote