The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2002, 08:00 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

World Cup unity

One of the blogs I follow (OK, Instapundit) has this note from a reader:
Quote:
I've been following the latest World Cup games pretty closely on Spanish-language TV and radio in Miami, and I'd like to share the following observation:

TV and radio commentators, and callers to radio shows, call the American team "el equipo de todos nosotros" (the team of all of us). This morning, as I was driving home after the U.S. - Mexico game, there were calls from Colombians, Argentineans, Brazilians, Central-Americans of various stripes, all rooting for the U.S. team, and all expressing the same sentiment, that the American team was the "home" team. This is a marked departure from previous World Cups, where latins tended to stick with other latin countries if their own didn't make the cut. I had never heard this expression, "the team of all of us," before this World Cup.

As one caller explained, they feel this way not just because the U.S. is the country that received them, but also because many have U.S.-born children, and they want to teach their children to root for their country. Who would have thought of soccer as a force of acculturation and assimilation?
I have a little tear... this is how it's supposed to be... soccer as a force for bringing people together...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote