Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
iamthewalrus109
High Propagandist

The fate of the Republican party?

Having read some of the posts lately on post election predictions and the state of the parties past 2004 I thought it was time to start a true discourse on possible scenarios for the politcal future of the parties as well as the country. In essence, I think the only responsible move at this point is for the moderates of both parties to converge, will this happen, probably not.

Moderate Republicans, like that of the strain of Dick Lugar, Hagel and so forth could etch out something from the ashes of the Republican party. These individuals are principled but, reasonable people. The political environment now leaves us a way too polarized choice, it's either somebody who waves which ever way the wind is blowing or we have someone who will march us right over a cliff just for personal conviction, or should I say seemingly personal conviction. In any event, the results of the 2004 election, which seems to be a Bush win, will still bring a major destruction to the Repulican party I'm afraid. Unless Iraq suddenly becomes ok, and there is actually a plan implemented to deal with leaking jobs and the deficeit, I don't forsee the Republican party making it out of the next 4 years. The neo-cons and the corporate cronies have insured that. High minded political beliefs about spreading democracy to the Middle East and corporate style goverence is a recipe for disaster, plain and simple. I do belive in 2nd term curses. Almost every modern president has faced it. US News just did a pretty good article on what a 2nd term for Bush would mean, and recalled the track records of 2 termers in the 20th century, usually not good, many times the 2nd term is the kiss of death to a president.

So, theorectically speaking a 2nd term for Bush means similiar polices and a continuation of what John Kerry called, "more of the same". There will be some sort of scandal, or major uncovering of something that will rip this country apart. Even if one of the rumors about GW Bush is proven, we will have a major blood letting. As far as demographics, and this is in particular reference to some of the posts I've seen on the post election predictions on this site, I don't think hispanics, will ever fully come over to the democrats enmass. Republicans have been able to get a good amount of their votes in recent elections, mostly stemming from the religious/abortion issue. The hispanic vote is a complex one, one which comes from many backgrounds. Puerto Ricans tradionally vote dem., but Mexicans are a wild card, alot of them vote Republican. It's a splintered group, and GW Bush has been able to court the Mexican-american vote pretty well for a Republican, so I don't see all hispanics voting for Dems, I just don't. Getting back to the fate of the political future of this country, the Republicans are in trouble, but I forsee a new party emerging out of it, something akin to the whig revolution in the mid to late 19th century.

-Walrus
iamthewalrus109 is offline   Reply With Quote