The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2004, 04:14 AM   #9
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I didn't know Mark Knopfler had a new CD. How is it?

I almost wish I didn't find out about the CD. I have a list of stuff I want to buy, but no spare money these days. Now I get to add this to the list.
Only listened to it a few times, I don't know that it's as good as some of his other stuff, but maybe it will grow on me. By far his best album is Sailing to Philadelphia - if you haven't got it I thoroughly recommend it. I get most of my music from www.slsknet.org - brilliant fast downloading and free (and just slightly illegal)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave
Speaking of Jazz, does anyone in the Cellar like real Jazz? I mean people like Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, to name but a few? I bet the answer is no, going by what I've seen in these postings. What a shame.
Yes! Miles Davis is a god and Kind of Blue is probably the best jazz album in existence. I like acid jazz and nu-jazz but there is no substitute for real jazz. Went to Stockholm last year, spent a night at the famous Stampen club which was amazing, a tiny dingy club packed with old couples and beautiful young Swedes, surrounded by snow and jazz and warm mulled wine, I loved it. What a fantastic trip that was. If you can get hold of it I strongly recommend an album called The Hot Spot by Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker - it's only 30 minutes long but absolutely brilliant - true jazz at its finest.

edited for: duff link

Tags
music