The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
If anyone has paid into the Social Security system for any length of time they are entitled to social security disability payments (which are better than what Mari quoted) and it typically takes 2-4 months to have a decision made. The payments, if approved, start from the day of disability so at the end of an admittedly tough 2-4 months you'd get a nice big check.
Honey, what planet did your space craft just land from? I have BEEN there, have you? There are a few exceptions, but the vast majority of people who must apply for disability through social security wait for at least two years. Go call up your local social security office and find out for yourself if you don't believe me. People who speak of speedy disability awards are often confusing private disability insurance with federal. Also, those who do have private insurance, ironicly enough, often recieve assistance from their private carriers to help prod the Feds along.

My disability award is a big $625.00 a month. If I'd only had to wait two months for it, the back pay would have been $1250. Maybe you consider this whopping. I don't.