The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
evansk7
Disorderly Orderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
You folks with your incredible sense of prescience should work for airport security. I know I could never work out the safety of an otherwise odd-looking situation until I had all the facts in hand, but you folks seem to figure it out within a few paragraphs. That's some amazing work.
My problem with airport security is that they don't seem to figure it out until 3 years later with the aid of a congressional investigation.

Airport security, and in fact any kind of security designed to protect the safety of a populace and its state, should not be the lowest paid job in the whole wide world, and should not attract the contempt of those it encounters.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been in an airport in the UK and the US and been "questioned" by someone who can barely string together three words of English (not because they're foreign, just because they're uneducated). And I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people around me berating security staff for being idiots, inconveniencing them, delaying them "unnecessarily" or being invasive.

I wonder which came first; our desire to cut costs so we can pay a high-school drop-out $2.40/hour to sleep while scanning bags or our desire to belittle those around us performing menial yet necessary jobs.

And I wonder if we'll ever realise that perhaps, in security as in the rest of the world, you get what you pay for.
evansk7 is offline   Reply With Quote