The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-20-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Doom 3 minimum PC requirements announced

For all those wondering if your system will stack up, insiders have revealed the minimum system specs needed to play this little beauty:

Quote:
  • A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
  • 384 megabytes of memory.
  • Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
  • An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.
Yowza. Luckily my last upgrade put me over this mark. Barely. And in case the one gamer in the world who hasn't already heard about Doom 3's release date is reading... it ships August 4th. Here's hoping id Software kicks our asses again; Doom 3 is the first game I've been excited about for a while now (outside of the false announcement of the Half-Life 2 release date).
Old 07-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This one is not too bad for me but I'm thinking about upgrading the video card anyway. If it's any interest to ppl, here are the general newegg price levels you could expect these days between $100 and $250, and any discussion helping me pick is helpful.

$125
ATI Radeon 9600PRO

$140
GeForce FX5700 or Radeon 9600XT

$175
GeForce FX5900XT

$210
ATI Radeon 9800PRO
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_pastrami
...Doom 3 is the first game I've been excited about for a while now (outside of the false announcement of the Half-Life 2 release date).
I've been waiting for the next Duke Nukem since... oh, about 1964 (at least it seems that long).

Here is a link to a small movie about the game - interviews with the creators and some footage from the game. Scroll down to the files posted on July 17, 2004 - there is one movie but two resolutions to choose from. Also, there are some screenshot collections on the same page.

Unfortunately, my system is such that I'll have to wait for Santa before I can play
Old 07-21-2004, 01:29 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

whooooeeeee.

Baby, I'm IN!!!!

gimme gimme gimme gimme.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:34 AM   #5
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

$210
ATI Radeon 9800PRO

All the way.

You are never going see a linear relationship between graphics card prices vs graphics card performance but the 9800Pro comes close.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

I think to see it at it's best you'd need something that has not been produced yet, I hear a top end AMD64 and a X800 would do nicely.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
I think to see it at it's best you'd need something that has not been produced yet, I hear a top end AMD64 and a X800 would do nicely.
This statement has so little actual value that I am going to decrement your post count by one.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:09 AM   #8
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
* A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
* 384 megabytes of memory.
* Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
* An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.
Crap. I have 384, can free up two gigs (though I need a second HD soon) and have a GF4 Ti4200, but I'm running an Athlon T-Bird 1300.

I'm actually not all that concerned, because I'd imagine that the video card would be more of a bottleneck than the processor speed, and if they're saying that a GF3 will be playable...
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp
I'm actually not all that concerned, because I'd imagine that the video card would be more of a bottleneck than the processor speed, and if they're saying that a GF3 will be playable...
Well, I hear that the element of the game which really slaps the hardware around is the dynamic lighting... and if I'm not mistaken, that's a pretty CPU and GPU intensive task. So they may be serious about the CPU requirement.

The guys at id said that they wanted this game to be scary, and I think they've hit the mark with these system requirements. Think about it... these specs are the minimum system requirements, so if you meet them, you'll probably be able to run it at 800x600 max, with low-to-moderate detail. The recommended requirements haven't been officially released yet, but they say something about some "Cray-Super" computer? Anybody ever heard of that?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 AM   #10
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
The recommended requirements haven't been officially released yet, but they say something about some "Cray-Super" computer? Anybody ever heard of that?
Now that's what I'm talking about...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Well, I hear that the element of the game which really slaps the hardware around is the dynamic lighting... and if I'm not mistaken, that's a pretty CPU and GPU intensive task. So they may be serious about the CPU requirement.
Ehh, if that's the case, I'm done, since my A7V133 motherboard only goes up to 1.4GHz.

One of these days, I'm going to get someone to throw a bunch of NewEgg parts together and make me a faster system.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 AM   #12
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Well, if you want to go big....
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...721/index.html
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #13
jaguar
whig

You're right UT, feel free.
Of marginally more value is that linux binaries will be availiable at release where as an OSX boxed version don't have a date yet.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #14
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Amen Silent, i run a 3 ghz pent 4, 512 ddr ram and the 9800 pro and i have yet to expeirence lag what-so-ever! I bless thee ATI in all your endeavours!
I kinda needed it to run Halo properly.. that game is a beast, but Doom's graphics will smack it up it like a redheaded stepchild!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:18 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

9800Pro it is.