The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 03-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Any other Flickr users?

I searched for "Flickr" and didn't churn up any existing posts about it... anybody else use or frequent this (free) photo sharing site? It's got an interesting, evolving interface, and LOTS of users. It's yet another of those perpetual beta web projects which are almost as popular as prequels. The site is certainly imperfect, but they seem to be slowly scabbing together a pretty cool service.

I only participate a little... 61 photos at the moment... I'm mostly interested in watching what they do with their flavor of responsive web interface. Any comments on their execution? My main complaint is their built-in sort order of your photos, showing the most recently posted photos first. This tends to bury the best photos (which people tend to post first) at the old end of the list, which is deeper than most visitors will explore. Their search is also pretty wimpy (for example, no clearly visible way to search for a specific user's photo set).

Here are my photos on Flickr, for any interested. If you are already a member or opt to join up, you oughtta post your URL so we can add you as a contact.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Very cool photos! I like the first spider shot and the stair and shadow pic.

My wife uses ofoto as far as I remember.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I use snapfish, because what I really wanted at the time I signed up was to order prints of my digital pictures, and they had the best prices.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
404Error
Lecturer

I'm always looking for different photo sharing sites and hadn't tried this one yet. I registered and put the pictures of my latest trip to the butterfly conservatory here just to see how the site works.

Just some immediate observations, I too don't like the latest posted picture first concept. There should be a way to let you arrange your pictures the way you want them. I also think 10MB a month limit is pretty puny, but then that's what you get for free, guess I can't complain too much. I'm not too fond of the way they resize your pictures either, you're certainly not going to share any wallpaper sized pictures on this site.

I think, at best, this is a good site for someone who wants to quickly share a few snapshots with friends and family.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

HP, you are a hell of a photographer.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
HP, you are a hell of a photographer.
Wow, thanks man... awful generous of you. You should look at 404's if you haven't already, it's cool stuff. Makes me feel a little inadequate. Heheh.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_pastrami
Wow, thanks man... awful generous of you. You should look at 404's if you haven't already, it's cool stuff. Makes me feel a little inadequate. Heheh.
Yow! What's the thing that looks like a yellow Christmas cactus crawling up someone's arm?!

Nice, nice pics, indeed.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #8
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error
I'm always looking for different photo sharing sites and hadn't tried this one yet. I registered and put the pictures of my latest trip to the butterfly conservatory here just to see how the site works.
Some very nice photos there, 404.

Quote:
I'm not too fond of the way they resize your pictures either, you're certainly not going to share any wallpaper sized pictures on this site.

I think, at best, this is a good site for someone who wants to quickly share a few snapshots with friends and family.
Actually, they do let you upload higher resolution files and then determine who can have access to download them, but now that you mention it, the link to access the higher-res files seems to be gone... it was there a few days ago. Must be beta growing pains.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:07 PM   #9
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_pastrami
Some very nice photos there, 404...
Thanks, HP! I meant to start my post complimenting your photography but got carried away talking about the Flickr site. You really got some great shots there, HP, you're definitely no slouch behind the shutter!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Thanks, HP! I meant to start my post complimenting your photography but got carried away talking about the Flickr site. You really got some great shots there, HP, you're definitely no slouch behind the shutter!
It's about time, man... you know how cranky I get when I'm not the topic of conversation. Speaking of me, did you notice how sexy I look in this shirt? Damn.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I just signed up.

At the moment, there's nothing there that I haven't posted here (smaller), but I think from now on I'll save UT's bandwidth when making updates to the art threads...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Sorry Brucie... only one sister, and she's already spoken for. I'll put you on the waiting list, though. Just in case.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

(Sigh) Oh well.(Sigh) I saw she was spoken for, I also saw she is very pretty. Then again, aren't all brides pretty?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
Happy Monkey

Flickr just enabled hyperlinks in notes, so I went and made a few hyperlinked sets of photos with navigation.

This one's my favorite:

(note: the notes seem to have occasional trouble loading. If no notes show up on a picture, try reloading.)
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
Happy Monkey

Apparently I was one of the first to do it, and I got blogged!

It took me a while to figure out why one of my photos shot up to over 5000 views...
|_______________| [pics]