The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Gov Sanford and Naked Hiking Day

Wow, suddenly we have an interesting Republican and he's in a different state. If this guy really did ditch work to go hiking during the solstice on Naked Hiking Day, then he might be just what the party of stuck up ***holes needs to lighten up.

From here

Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — After a political mystery — "Where in the World is South Carolina's Governor?" — Mark Sanford's aides said he was stunned by all the fuss over his five-day absence and would cut short a secretive hike along the Appalachian Trail.
State officials and even his wife said they had no idea where he went over Father's Day weekend, and not everyone is buying his explanation. His disappearance has left some in the Palmetto State wondering: Is this any way for a governor to act?
Sanford's spokesman said the governor was hiking to clear his head after the legislative session, during which he lost a key battle.
But critics of the two-term Republican — and there are many — wondered why it took nine hours after reporters started asking questions for the governor's staff to say what the state's chief executive was doing. Sanford was expected back in his office Wednesday, but his aides stopped answering questions about his trip, including where he was on the 2,175-mile trail, whether he was with security and if anyone else could confirm his whereabouts.
Did it have anything to do with Naked Hiking Day?

Quote:
The story started to resemble a John Grisham novel. A southern conservative governor and very vocal critic of a popular liberal president eluded his security detail and completely disappeared with his last known whereabouts — before he (or someone) turned off his cell phones — somewhere outside of Atlanta.
Staff was silent. Some were talking about succession plans. The First Lady though said she wasn’t concerned. “He was writing something and wanted some space to get away from the kids,” she said.
But many wondered aloud how this traditional, family-loving, Republican governor of a southern state could miss Fathers Day. After all he’s got four children! Was something sinister in the air?
Then it took a Farrelly brothers screenplay type of twist. Sanford had not disappeared. According to his spokesman, he was hiking on the Appalachian Trail. Coincidentally, on Naked Hiking Day.
It’s a big tradition. Many hikers celebrate the summer solstice by hiking au naturel. It just so happened the solstice occurred on Fathers Day — one of the days Sanford was hiking.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
sugarpop
Professor

and I can't imagine running into him NEKKID!
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Heh, I just got finished WTFing this, and it was on the top of the queue.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, it was Father's Day, so as a father he could do what he wanted.

It's not like he was Eliot Spitzer and spent the night before Valentine's Day with a hooker.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
sugarpop
Professor

As far as we know...
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Yeh really - where was Hillary at the time?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Welllll..... either
(a) he was hiking, nude. Cool, but a tad unRepublican.
(b) he was hiking, clad, ignorant of the custom &/or having a perv.
(c) he was not hiking, but ........ [insert dubious activity here] .... instead.

If he was hiking nude on midsummer's day ... there should be a nice even all-over tan to prove it. Not that I am volunteering to check, mind you.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
glatt

If he wants to go hiking, that's fine. Great, even. Hiking is an activity more people should do so they gain an appreciation for the little bit of nature left in the country.

But if you are in an important position, you should always be reachable. A governor has responsibilities and shouldn't be going AWOL for several days on end. His staff should be able to reach him in an emergency at all times.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If he wants to go hiking, that's fine. Great, even. Hiking is an activity more people should do so they gain an appreciation for the little bit of nature left in the country.

But if you are in an important position, you should always be reachable. A governor has responsibilities and shouldn't be going AWOL for several days on end. His staff should be able to reach him in an emergency at all times.
This really is the bottom line.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
classicman

Uh and what about his wife and/or children?

This is really odd behavior. Going ion a hike of this magnitude requires some planning and preparation, not to mention all the equipment necessary to spend days out there. Oh and did he go alone? Has he done this type of hiking before? Where exactly did he go? Where is all his stuff from the hike?

There are way too many questions that remain unanswered.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Uh and what about his wife and/or children?
I think the public has no right to tell the governor what he should do with his family. The public does have the right to demand that he be accessible in case there's an emergency. He could carry a cell phone that only a trusted aide can call. He'd still get some R&R and the public would have a governor available.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
classicman

I was not implying that we did. But if I was his family, I certainly would.
Seriously, you wouldn't be a little upset if your wife disappeared for 4-5 days? That isn't normal.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Those of us who don't live in Mayberry shouldn't be so concerned about the Gov's whereabouts. Might just be out fishin' with Andy Barney and Floyd.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
classicman

UPDATE:
Quote:
Gov. Mark Sanford did not spend the last five days hiking the Appalachian Trail — as his staff had indicated — but was instead in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the South Carolina Republican told The State newspaper Wednesday.

Spotted returning from the trip in the Atlanta airport Wednesday morning, Sanford said he had considered hiking the Appalachian Trail after his state's busy legislative season came to end but instead decided on a more "exotic" trip.

"I wanted to do something exotic. It's a great city," said Sanford of his five-day getaway that appeared to leave his entire staff and family in the dark about his whereabouts. Sanford also said no one else accompanied him on the trip.

Sanford wouldn't tell the newspaper exactly what he did in the South American country, besides take a drive along the coastline.

The South Carolina governor also said he hadn't planned to return until Thursday, but came back earlier after his chief of staff contacted him to say the story of his whereabouts was drawing widespread media attention.

Sanford expressed surprise the story was attracting such attention, saying it's not unusual for him to take such trips.

"I would get out of the bubble I am in," he said.

In a short interview with CNN Tuesday, Sanford's wife Jenny said she still has not talked to her husband since he left last Thursday and did not know where he went.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Ar-gen-tina?

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote