The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-18-2003, 01:15 AM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

New Classes

I'm trying to take 19 credits this semester, so far I think I can handle it but I'm not sure, I think I may be still to intent on having fun. My Comp 2 class os studying horror. We are reading Frankenstein and Carrie and watching a few movies. But by far my favorite class is Hinduism. It's interesting, mainly becuase Hinduism seems to be a religion I can relate to. It's not like most Western Religions in that it isn't set in stone and there really is not one right way. It just seems to appeal to me.
hen again I've been raised as a Catholic so I find myself looking at it criticaly and thinking to myself that this is just wrong, that I can't possibly belive in it.
I actually found myself thinking today that maybe I'm going into the wrong thing, maybe I should go into a Religion or Philosophy major.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: New Classes

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
I'm trying to take 19 credits this semester
You are fucking high.*

* - Except for his first two semesters (14 and 16 hours respectively), Sycamore only took 12 hours per semester b/c he really didn't feel like taking one more class...he wanted to work more. Of course, this caused el sicómoro to be in college for an extra semester, but...ah, fuck it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 01:39 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: New Classes

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
I actually found myself thinking today that maybe I'm going into the wrong thing, maybe I should go into a Religion or Philosophy major.
If that is your intention, you have to start practicing.

Repeat after me: "Do you want coke and fries with that?"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 01:43 AM   #4
juju
no one of consequence

I stick with 12 hours a semester. I like to have plenty of time to absorb the material fully. :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #5
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Actually when I started this thread I was trying to get into a discussion about Hinduism, but It turned into something else damn it. So anyways yeah I'm probably in over my head but I know I can drop a class if things get to be too much. And yeah Wolf I know that, that's why i'm sticking with my Information Systems degree, luckily I fiind computers as interesting as philosophy.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I took 18 a couple times... in music school you end up with a lot of 1-credit courses for ensembles (orchestra, chamber music, etc.) that actually take 4 hours a week of time (plus practicing of course), so 18 was tough... most did not make it out in four years. (Well I had a big head start w/ AP credit fortunately.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Our college was on a 4-1-5 schedule which meant that you took 5 courses in the Spring no matter what. Usu. a lab or two meant 17 hours was routine. (And then they wondered why so many people were on the 5-year-plan.)

The "1" was the fun part: during January you took one course, usually something very enjoyable. The course might be two hours per day with one hour of extra work and no midterms or finals. As a result, many people took the month as an opportunity to determine the bodily limits of the processing of alcohol and/or weed, both in quantity and over a time period.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:10 PM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
Actually when I started this thread I was trying to get into a discussion about Hinduism, but It turned into something else damn it.
I know...I fucking hate when that happens.

My World Religions class touched on Hinduism briefly. Very interesting.

Quote:
So anyways yeah I'm probably in over my head but I know I can drop a class if things get to be too much.
If you're not on scholarship though, you don't want to waste any money by dropping.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
mw451
Disorderly Orderly

Re: Re: New Classes

[quote]Originally posted by sycamore
[b]

You are fucking high.*

ROTFLMAO!!! Too Funny.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or... the one. -- Spock
mw451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #10
mw451
Disorderly Orderly

Re: Re: New Classes

[QUOTE
Repeat after me: "Do you want coke and fries with that?" [/quote]

HA HA HA!!! you guys are too much...

Old 01-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #11
mw451
Disorderly Orderly

The heck with school...

I went to work directly out of high school, sure I'm not the smartest, but hey... My sister went to college for 12 years, and, get this, she had a job working for Peter Jennings, a Masters degree, and lived at home. Big Deal You Say? Ah...

I worked straight out of HS, and was making $36,000 a year when she finished her "schooling". What did she make I hear you so beggingly asking? Well..... $ 18,000 two years after graduation.

Half of what I was earning, and I had years of experience to boot. I then went on to AT&T, then after a few promotions and good benefits, got LAID-OFF. Yes, I am an AT&T statistic, a "downsize", a laid off employee that they used for years.

So, then I got a job at EDS. Totally shifted gears, and became a computer security analyst. I have several very inportant clients that I support, have all the training I could ever ask for, and even more, and the pay now...? Let's just say I still make more than my sister, (though she changed jobs and is in advertising now), but I'm damn glad I did what I did, and I'm glad that I saved my parents all that money.

At one point, we thougth my sis was going to go to college foerever, make a career of it... It was pretty funny, a good 'ole family joke that still continues to this day.

(hey, maybe she'll work at Wal-Mart next)

Old 01-18-2003, 07:07 PM   #12
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Re: The heck with school...

Quote:
Originally posted by mw451

So, then I got a job at EDS.
Oh god, another on of us...I work at EDS too...*grin*

And I'm fairly certain that we could trade some somewhat interesting 'war stories' *G*

Dagney
(who's either herding cats or running from squirrels..depending on how you look at it)

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:16 PM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

Re: The heck with school...

Quote:
Originally posted by mw451
I went to work directly out of high school, sure I'm not the smartest, but hey... My sister went to college for 12 years, and, get this, she had a job working for Peter Jennings, a Masters degree, and lived at home.
What was her masters degree in?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:28 PM   #14
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
If you're not on scholarship though, you don't want to waste any money by dropping.
Luckily after 13 credits it doesn't matter how many I take when it comes to my tuition. So dropping one isn't so much a money decision as a time decision.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:19 PM   #15
Pie
Gone and done

Worst I ever did was 24 credit hours in a semester. That was the fall semester of freshman year. It was also the highest gpa I ever got (only one B). By Spring of senior year, I was down to 12 credits, and the worst gpa of my undergraduate career. I guess I work best when I'm stretched a little.

BTW, the degree was in Applied Physics. I was the first and only person to graduate from CWRU with that degree. They cancelled the program the year after I granulated.

- Pie