The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
marichiko

Best Gun for a Woman

I know there are some people around here with a reasonable amount of expertise in guns. I have an old army officer's Colt that used to be my Dad's. The problem with that gun is that I really don't have the strength in my hands to get comfortable with it. I've been thinking of buying something that is a little lighter weight, but still efficient. Any suggestions? Wolf?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
mrnoodle
bent

Stay with .45ACP, don't downgrade to a "ladies gun". It's a myth that women need to be coddled when choosing a firearm. In fact, it's very often counterproductive -- they'll buy an airweight revolver in .357 because it feels light in their purse, but the recoil (and/or the muzzle blast from the eensy weensy compensated barrel) is so horrifyingly bad that NObody wants to fire it.

At the shop I worked at, we universally recommended a 1911-style .45 with a 5 inch barrel (or 4.25 if they wanted to conceal it -- the ballistics get screwy with the new super short barrels) for smaller-statured people. When they learned how to properly use it, they couldn't be GIVEN a smaller gun. It's all technique -- weight is your friend, not your enemy. The gun you have sounds good as long as it's safe -- service automatics can be squirrelly.

Or, the one that NBN has in the Hopkin Green Frog thread. That one's ideal for personal carry (except he needs to lose the mil-spec hammer )
Old 07-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Ultimate in Feminine Protection

I was going to say stick with the .45, although the real answer is shoot what you can shoot comfortably with accuracy. A .45 that puts you on your ass and you shoot wild because you're afraid of the recoil is not as effective as a 9mm that you can hit center of mass with 10 times out of 10. (It's not just about the bullseye on the target, after all. It's nice to be able to show off a big open hole in the center of a target, but what you need in a firearm is reliability and reasonable accuracy. You're shooting to kill, never to disable. If you can understand that, and accept that and your ability to follow through, use a gun for protection.

Otherwise, get a rottweiler and use dial-a-prayer.

Now, if the issue is that the pistol is too big for your hands to shoot comfortably, you can change grips and sometimes the backstrap to improve the fit.

And shoot often. Managing a particular weapon or caliber is about practice and control, not necessarily brute strength. Sam Colt made 'em equal, remember?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I've heard a lot of good things about Paraordinance.

They have a number of single stack .45 models for people with girly hands, myself included, except I'm a .40 kind of guy.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

i have small hands and i swear by the Sig 229, .40. .
Old 07-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

that 9mm of NBN's used to be mine until i needed a little extra cash. it's a smith & wesson model 910 and as long as you didn't use reloads, it was fairly accurate.

i might be in the market here in the next few months or so, if i can quit spending $ on flying but what do y'all think of the TaurusPT 24/7 PISTOL IN .45 ACP ? anyone here have one or shot one? that model 910 was ok, i just want something a little more compact and more punch than a 9mm.....
Old 07-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
marichiko

Thanks for the suggestions. I just don't like how awkward I feel with that Colt. It seems like I don't have the strength in my hands to handle it well. I don't mind a heavier weapon but the action has got to be good. Yup, Wolf, if I'm in a situation where I feel the need to pull out a gun and shoot it, I'm going to do my best to ensure that whatever is on the receiving end drops dead in its tracks. What's the point otherwise?

Me and whatever gun I decide to buy are going to be spending plenty of time out on the practice range, believe me.

What do you folks think of picking up one through a gun show?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

there's nothing wrong with that. you'll still go through a background check and all that unless you buy from an individual then it's a cinch.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
mrnoodle
bent

Are you looking for a carry gun or a home defense gun? In my opinion, there is no better home gun than a 12-ga. pump shotgun. Thanks to Hollywood, there isn't a thug out there who doesn't know and fear the sound of one being loaded. Plus, you don't kill your neighbors like you can (potentially) do with the overpenetrating and overhyped 9 mm.

just an opinion, I know there are lots of 9 fans out there.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
marichiko

A shot gun does have its moments, but I'm looking for a gun that I could carry when I felt like it. I'm not a hyper "shoot at ever stray noise" type. If I pick up a loaded weapon, I make very sure I know what I want to point it at first. Maybe I should add that I often go off alone on 4 wheeling adventures in the Rockies, so I might need one for a big cat (unlikely since they seldom go after humans and if they do, you won't know until too late), or a grizz if I go up north. A shot gun would certainly take care of a grizz, but its a pain to lug around.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I was just gonna say whatever she's using is probably fine.

[edit: warning: link to NSFW post]

Last edited by SteveDallas; 07-06-2005 at 07:40 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #12
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I was just gonna say whatever she's using is probably fine.

[edit: warning: link to NSFW post]
Cute, Steve. Know where I can pick one up - the gun I mean!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Check your local laws regarding carry. As much as I despite having to get a permission slip to exercise a right, I do it anyway, because I am one of the good guys.

You also need to take into consideration your own physical and mental issues that would impact your ability to make appropriate judgments under pressure.

Also, there are entirely different considerations for selecting a carry gun over a home defense gun. Decide what you want, and buy for that application.

As much as I love shopping for guns at guns shows, I do not buy there. Although there are local dealers that come to my favorite show, I don't like that particular atmosphere for buying, and many of the vendors come from more than three hours away. I do not typically make impulse purchases for items over $500. But it's a great place to look at guns, talk guns, and hold them to find out if they are comfortable for you. Forming a relationship with your local gunshop owner is a great idea, and often leads to pricing much better than the "show special". You can also special order AND will have someone who is typically willing to stand behind what they sell and help you to resolve any problems, even if that means that they yell at the manufacturer on your behalf. There are people who wander around with guns for sale who are not licensed dealers ... at least in PA those are mostly long guns because you have to do transfer paperwork on any pistols.

Guys at gunshows LOVE to talk to chicks about guns. The ratio is usually about 10:1, higher if you factor out girlfriends/wives who are along just to keep hubby from spending the mortgage payment on a new shotgun.

You should also look to see if there are target ranges that either are connected with gunshops or have weapons you can rent. When you don't have friends with lots of guns this is the best way to try out different pistols until you find something that really fits you.

I have bought sight-unfired, and luckily have been very happy, but this would be the exception that proves that particular rule.

And one more thing ... shotgun v. bear is probably not the best of ideas. Slug ... maybe.

Sig=yummy although I do love the simplicity and reliability of my Glock. I keep going back and forth over whether I want a Sig or an H&K next, especially since I held the new Beretta Compact .40 at the last show I went to and found it to be terribly uncomfortable.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:46 AM   #14
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'm a pretty big dude, and I don't carry a .45 cal. I am just fine with my Beretta 9mm compact (Cougar). It's the most popular concealed weapon, has plenty of stopping power (especially with the rounds I use), and it carry's more shots than a revolver. It's very nice, and well balanced. I tried out at least 18 handguns before I chose this one. I can't stand composite guns (too much recoil and shake), and I can't stand guns that are front heavy with huge barrels. I also don't like snub nosed guns because you have more accuracy with a slightly longer barrel. This gun is the most comfortable gun I've ever held. It's better than any Sig, Taurus, Glock, Desert Eagle, S&W, or Ruger.

It's just right. I can see how a lot of women might want to carry this for a gun. A lot of women get turned on by having a big gun though. Maybe it's a penis envy thing. I don't know.

All this talk of guns is making me want to hit the range. I haven't been in a very long time.

Last edited by Radar; 07-07-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #15
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

You guys are a bunch of pussies.

Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote