The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Anti-Kerry Advertising

This morning as I left the train station in Chicago, I saw a large truck with anti-Kerry advertising on it's side. The advertising filled the entire side and rear of the truck (I couldn't see the other side).

The text was something along the lines of "The future under John Kerry" with a skull and crossbones next to kerry's name. The picture which filled most of the side of the truck was obviously the remains of late-term abortions.

While I did feel a sense of sadness for the loss of those potential lives, I was much more outraged at the idiot who thought that advertisement would persuade me to vote for Bush. I did not see any attribution, so I don't know who paid for this stupidity.

I resent the attempt to manipulate my emotions and my vote.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

i think you're right dar. not just about that ad, but pretty much all advertising. when is the last time anyone really changed their mind about a candidate because of an ad?

that is why i ignore pretty much all advertising about political issues. i find them ridiculously disrepectful. neither gwb or kerry would go on to a list of great leaders but they are still people who have lived their lives in a generally positive manner and have raised families. discuss political issues from dusk til dawn if you want, but personal attacks are just asinine.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn, I just had a thought that would make sense of what I'm seeing.
Post 9-11 we've seen a surge of patriotism. At least on the surface, people have been more interested, more aware, of the government and how it works.
This campaign, by two skull&bones boys, only makes sense if it's a coordinated effort to turn people off. Disgust the voters so deeply, they'll go away and let the Yalies do what they want with America.
Far Fetched? I hope so, but I'm at a loss to find a better explanation for what I see.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Ran into the same truck on the way home from work. The people responsible are www.operationrescue.org. Not the same truck (I'm in Chicago), but there is a picture of one of their "truth trucks" here.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ah yes, Operation Rescue...fine upstanding folks they are.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

xoB, I think there's an element of that. The old school pols know how a "regular" election works and who votes in one and how to convince them to vote your way. They get confused when outside forces come in an change things.

Arnie went on the Tonight Show to announce for Governor, and D pol Susan Estrich deeply criticized him for it. This is not how campaigns are supposed to run! You are supposed to have press releases go out on the day of the announcement with a conference on the capitol steps. Nobody's gonna get any play out of being on the Tonight Show!

Yeah, Ms. E., I guess maybe that's how it used to work... maybe when Jack Paar was host... but now Kerry has even done The Daily Show. Things are different now.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
garnet

The only thing I can see coming out of the ads on those trucks is that they'll scare small children and make Operation Rescue look really extreme (which, after checking out their website, it seems that they are). It's not going to affect John Kerry's campaign one way or the other. Just plain silly.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote