The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Another way to look at Iraq

At one point, the struggles in Afghanistan and Iraq were supposed to be the proving ground for Generation X: the battle that showed that we were a serious generation capable of dealing with a serious problem and achieving excellence.

How ya like us now USA
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
glatt

Generation X is in the middle management positions at this point. The top leaders responsible for this mess are baby boomers.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

What the hell? Are you trying to manufacture a political generation gap, UT?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by glatt
Generation X is in the middle management positions at this point. The top leaders responsible for this mess are baby boomers.
Sure, blame everything on us. We're used to it. We're a big generation and we can take it, but you'll be sorry when we're all gone and you won't have no one to kick around anymore!:p
Old 07-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Nah, they'll just kick around Gen Y

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
lookout123
changed his status to single

every generation is to blame for the problems of the next. only history will tell if the generation left the world a better place or not. it is impossible to tell while we are in the middle of the situation. i think 50 years is a good point to start looking back accurately at the effects of a generation's actions.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Kitsune
still eats dirt

i think 50 years is a good point to start looking back accurately at the effects of a generation's actions.

So, what actions should be we look at fifty years from now concerning this generation and this war? I'm a little confused -- what does this war and generation X have to do with each other?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I think this was the Boomer's second attempt to make up for the failure of Vietnam. Gulf War I wasn't quite epic enough, so they had to try again.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
lookout123

i was just saying that for all the hoohah (yes, that's a technical term) surrounding this war, we will have to wait about 50 years to see the real net effect on the world.

i wasn't really saying anything about gen x. we didnt' start the war, but we are the ones fighting it. this war will shape our politics and our military's future, just as vietnam did for the baby boomers.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #10
lookout123

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
I think this was the Boomer's second attempt to make up for the failure of Vietnam. Gulf War I wasn't quite epic enough, so they had to try again.
did you oppose gulf war I, as well?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I was pretty young. I suppose I primarily considered it to be saber rattling. I didn't support it, or oppose it much.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #12
Kitsune
still eats dirt

You're right, Lookout, I guess we won't know the full implications for years from now. I have to say that despite the polarity and disagreements going on right now, I'm kind of glad to be able to witness these times, as the events of these years are going to radically change an enormous amount of things. It'll make for good stories to tell the grandkids, too.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So far a number of them have graduated from gen X to gen ex.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
blue
Operations Operative

And two entire nations are now free as a consequence. It'll work out. The leaders were brutal. brutal people...I swear some of you have shorter memories than me.

I don't entirely agree with GWII, I think it was the right war at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. I of course totally agree with pounding the Taliban and Al Quaeda into the sand.

Right or wrong millions of people are now free to bitch about the USA and lead better lives.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:07 AM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
And two entire nations are now free as a consequence. It'll work out. The leaders were brutal. brutal people...I swear some of you have shorter memories than me.

I don't entirely agree with GWII, I think it was the right war at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. I of course totally agree with pounding the Taliban and Al Quaeda into the sand.

Right or wrong millions of people are now free to bitch about the USA and lead better lives.
Well, I sort of agree. The point was that at least in the short term, Iraq is taking away resources which could be spent in REALLY dealing with Afghanistan and possibly preventing genocide in the Sudan.

Rounding up, since the butchers bill is still being tallied, we are talking about almost 1000 US dead and a quarter of a trillion dollars . I'm counting the current and future money the Pentagon has probably been shuffling around to keep down the reported costs. Not to mention the pain, suffering, and resources required to deal with the wounded for at least the next decade.

If I owned a company and an employee, on his own initiative racked up a bill like that, well intentioned or not, I'd boot his sorry ass.

I have always heard a lot of griping about how a few well spent dollars backing the White Russians in the revolution would have prevented the trillions spent in the Cold War. The difference being Russia was a large country with tremendous resources and a large, effective military.

Iraq was a caged beast which the world would have cheerfully shot down had it tried to escape. Short of secretly acquiring nuclear capability and long range missiles, the best he could hope for would be a random act of terror which he could not take credit for.

250,000,000,000 dollars is a lot to pay out for one man.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote