The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Meet Maddie

About 2 months ago, my Maxwell passed away. I had decided that I would take a while and just deal with all of the emotions that go along with the whole situation. I promised myself that until at least my 35th birthday, I wouldn't consider adopting a new pet.

Well, funny thing about making decisions like that.

This little girl needed home, and my MOM of all people (who never really got into the 'cat thing') suggested that I consider adopting her.

Her name is Maddie Munchkins. (She came with the name Munchkins, but never answered to it - she does however come running to the name Maddie). She's a quiet happy little girl who purrs a WHOLE lot and gets a big kick out of watching the squirrels on the front porch. She was having territorial disagreements with the other pets in her home, and since the cat she was disagreeing with 'belonged' to one of the children who has some emotional and behavioral issues, the family felt it was best to let Maddie move to a new house.

So, she now lives with me. And already rules the roost.
Attached Images

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nice pussy.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuute.. my Angie had kittes and we now have 8 cats!! so if anyone else is feeling adoptive.. give me a holla!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Your new friend appears to be a Maine Coon, a very special breed of cat which is very people oriented and affectionate. The momster has two of them and we wouldn't trade them for anything in the world because they are such great companions. And T'Pau, Queen of the Universe, obviously has a lot of Maine Coon or Norwegian in her too, since her brushy tail is 13 inches long. Congratulations on picking one of the best, you should be very happy with her
Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
marichiko

Aww... What a purdy kitty! She looks adorable and she does look like a Maine Coon which is a most remarkable breed of cat!

Hope she gives you many years of love and kitty joy!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

I had a main coon, once. Still miss her like the dickens.
Best of luck with your new friend!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Dagney

Maddie is most definitely not a teenie tiny little Cat. Mr. Maxwell weighed about 8 pounds at his heavies. Maddie, well, when I first picked her up, I thought I was picking up the cat, half an encyclopedia, and most of the OED.

But she's a snuggler - I turn around, and BOOM, there she is (I like that!)

Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

It depends on how old Maddie is, because Maine Coons are not considered "fully developed" until they are at least 4 years old. Our male, Rocky Raccoon (also known as The Rock) is already 23 pounds at the age of 3. I wish I could say that was all muscle and bone, but unfortunately he is like too many neutered males, he lounges regally and waits for the food to arrive His sibling, Sascha, is a dynamo who has the body and fur of a mink but weighs 12 pounds. Both of them have the huge ears and snowshoe feet, as does T'Pau, Queen of the Universe. Maine Coons love to follow their person around the house, right at your heels, so you have to learn to be very careful about stepping backwards or walking down a hallway in the dark. They make a shocked little squeek if they get stepped on (Coons do not have a meow like other cats) and they look so grief-stricken that you would hurt them, it will break your heart and you will smother them with apologies and pets.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 AM   #9
Dagney

Yes, in the time Maddie's lived with me, she's never meowed...she's just kind of Chirped. But she loves being with me - when I get home from this current business trip, I know she'll spend a few hours ignoring me - (making a kitty point, you know how they get) and then she'll 'forgive me' and be all shades of cuddly.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

Is it possible to have a maine coon that is tan? I have a kitty that fits that description, without a meow and all, except for the color. I thought there was somethng wrong with her since she doesn't meow. She almost looks like an orange tabby only with pale stripes and more tan than orange. I will have to post a picture when I get home.

Last edited by Iggy; 12-20-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #11
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

she looks a lot like this...
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #12
Dagney

I don't know much about Maine Coons yet myself, but I have a friend who has one who's butterscotch in color with no stripes or other markings (I don't know, been a while since i've seen her) She doesn't meow either

Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Maine Coons can be many colors. The only disqualified colors are the "pointed" patterns, like on the Siamese and Himmys. Here is a nice link which tells you about the registered ones: http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

The worlds largest cat, according to the Guinness Book is a RED tabby Maine Coon named Leo, who lives in Chicago. http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm

I wish I knew how to post photos which I have saved on my computer How does that work?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Use the advanced editor and click on the "manage attachments" button.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #15
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

OK, so this is The Rock and Sascha
Attached Images