The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-22-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Cocktails

I'm relatively new to the world of alcohol. I live in the heart of Mormon Utah (ugh), so alcohol almost has to be smuggled in. My first drink was about 3 years ago. I was at a friend's bachelor party in Wendover, Nevada, and a bunch of guys in the group were buddies who served together in the US Navy. Well, they decided it would be funny to see what I was like when I'm drunk. Being open-minded as I am, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

So they tell me they're going to get me something "light" for my first drink, and they order me a long island iced tea at te bar. This was the first of many drinks they ordered for me... an amaretto sour, a bloody mary, rum and coke, I forget what all of them were. It was about 12 mixed drinks by the time the night was through. And I shit you not, I felt nothing. No effect, except I had to pee a lot. I'm not that big a guy, about 5'10" and 165 lbs, but I have some uncanny resistance to alcohol... the navy guys were all buzzing from a dozen beers, and I was completely untouched by a plethora of mixed drinks. They still tell the story with a quiet awe.

I have since managed to get drunk, with the assistance of a Russian friend. But it took three glasses of wine and ten shots of tequila on an empty stomach to do it. And a big-ass cigar, heheh. I could still walk and talk normally, but I was definitely buzzing. And, I did lose containment a couple hours later, projectile-vomiting the whole mix into some bushes. Not a good end to the evening.

Anyway, back to my point. Has anybody got some really good cocktail recipes to post? I'm slowly putting together an assortment of alcohols, and some good recipes will help me decide what to keep on hand. I'm sure there are a few around here who know their way around a bar.

Oh, and the other crazy thing... I have never had a hangover.... in fact, on nights where I drink a lot, I wake up feeling great the next morning... it's night where I don't drink that I fel like shit when I wake up. Nutty.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

Re: Cocktails

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami
Oh, and the other crazy thing... I have never had a hangover.... in fact, on nights where I drink a lot, I wake up feeling great the next morning... it's night where I don't drink that I fel like shit when I wake up. Nutty.
i hate you.

my poison is white russians. decent vodka (absolut, skyy), kahlua and a little bit of half and half over ice. i like mine with more vodka than kahlua, but i think the general mix is 1 1/2 shot of vodka to 1 shot of kahlua.

casey has a thing for captain morgan and coke with a twist of lime. the lime improves it more than you might think.

we made california kool-aid a while back, and that shit is dangerous. tastes like tropical kool-aid and you can barely tell theres alcohol. i think casey passed out before she knew she was drunk. dont remember the recipe offhand, but ill find it and post it.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
we made california kool-aid a while back, and that shit is dangerous. tastes like tropical kool-aid and you can barely tell theres alcohol. i think casey passed out before she knew she was drunk.
I've seen the affect of that stuff, it's not always pretty, one minute the person seems fairly normal the next, well they're not.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #4
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Gin and tonic. Mmmm... Sorry, no recipes. Although my uncle Mel mixes them to crippling strength.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Seconded. The gin and tonic is the most basic and important of all cocktails, and it works in almost any context. Start with one part gin to three parts tonic and a hearty squeeze of a lime, or one of those fake plastic limes is just as good. The lime in some way is critical to the whole thing, however, and can't be skipped. Adjust the ratio to your own preferences and enjoy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #6
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I'm embarrassed to say I've never tried a Gin and Tonic, but I've heard that it's among many peoples' favorites. So if I go to the liquor store looking for some gin, how do I identify a good one? Is there a brand (or two or three) generally held in higher regard than the others?

Thanks,
Old 04-22-2003, 07:16 PM   #7
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

MOOSE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's only for the Navy guys and Canadians here.

Moose Milk, fo rthe rest of the great unwashed, is a sweet, milkshake-ey drink that is delicious and fattening and can put you on your butt easily.

I'll post the recipe when I find it again.

Brian
Old 04-22-2003, 07:18 PM   #8
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

You guys are nuts! Vodka & tonic is the way to go. I posted a story a while back about a guy that makes his stuff locally. Tito's Vodka is quite nice, and it even tastes good enough for a sippin'/slurrin' vodka.

I'm not much for the wacky, you-gotta-try-this, foo-foo drinks, but a friend of mine had told me that equal parts of Tuaca and any orange-flavored liquer with a splash of Bailey's is quite delicious. I figure if I'm gonna break out the Triple Sec, it's for a margarita.

I have never had a hangover either. I've been fall-down drunk, but I've never felt shitty the next day. I think I just grew up dehydrated, and the drinking is now just an extension of that. I'll keep trying, though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Gin and Tonic is really the thing for summer festivities. Tanqueray is my favorite. Don't go too cheap in the gin department unless you're looking for a dual purpose cuz you can only make one stop. Its a paint thinner, no its an adult beverage. Its the adult beverage that tastes like paint thinner.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

Gin and Tonic! Bombay Saphire people! (Ok maybe its the pretty bottle too.)
Tall glass, ice, a quarter of a REAL lime, squeeze around the edge of the glass, squeeze the rest into the glass and drop it in. Three fingers of gin, the rest tonic (no diet tonic, dont even think about it) stir, enjoy. Ah.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:24 PM   #11
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

My Poison...

I've become a great fan of Stoli Vanil and coke ....

Simple....and a bit more girly than my old standard of Jack and Coke....

And I avoid the tequilla....it makes me do odd things in public

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:39 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You learned any number of important lessons from your brief contact with alcohol, despite being from an alcohol challenged state.

You should probably have some words over your friends who duped you into believing that a long island ice tea is "light". There is no ice tea in there. Rather an assortment of up to 5 liquors simulate the taste of ice tea to to rather wicked effect. But I guess you know that by now!

Most important is "don't mix drinks" ... as in when out for a night drinking, pick one base liquor and stick with it. The other biggie is "don't break the seal." Hold off on peeing as long as possible, because once you start, you won't stop. You'll be hitting the head more often than a gaggle o' women who have gossip to attend to.

I go back and forth on my favorite mixed drinks. Old standbys are Coke 'n sumthin ... sumthing being variously Southern Comfort, Rum (esp. Dark Rum) or my dear friend, Jack-in-the-Black. Out of a sense of nostalgia I may have a Seven and Seven.

I also occasionally go for one of the "girly" mixed drinks, such as a Fuzzy Navel. You forget you're drinking with those things. They don't really sneak up on you and hit you on the head, though. AND you get to justify you actions by claiming that you are getting lotsa vitamin C from the OJ (the other component is DeKuypers Peachtree Schnapps, although technically you can use any peach brandy).

Tequila Sunrises (grenadine, orange juice and tequila) are another very attractive mixed drink, also with the "Orange Juice is good for you" excuse attached.

A sentimental favorite is the Buttery Nipple (and it's cousin, the Slippery Nipple) Both of these are shots ... when poured correctly you can see the individual layers of each type of alcohol, so it looks cool too.

The Buttery Nipple is Bailey's Irish Cream topped off with a dollop of Butterscotch Schnapps (preferably DeKuypers)

The Slippery Nipple is Bailey's, Kahluha, and Sambuca which is licorice flavored. Since it's a shot you don't really get the full taste immediately, but enough rolls around on your tastebuds for you get the idea.

Large parties become more fun with the appearance of Blowjobs (shots. simmer down), which is merely a shot of kahluha with lots of whipped cream on top. They are to be consumed without using hands to get the beverage in your mouth ... so you have to lean over, take the shotglass in your mouth and stand up and throw your head back to drink one. GREAT photo opportunity.

All this being said, a lot of the time when I drink, I DON'T mix ... I drink for flavor not for effect. (compare with Griff who drinks for effect with flavor being a side-bonus). My favorite yummy thing is a fine Single Malt Scotch in a snifter for the enjoyment of the experience. Glenmorangie is my favorite, and while not cheap, doesn't break the bank. I also enjoy a brandy as an after dinner treat.

I have never developed a taste for the see-through types of alcohol (vodka, gin, or grain), although have tried all three. I once had quite the enjoyable evening consuming lemon drops but that was about the only time I've voluntarily consumed vodka. Grain was a college staple, particularly in the purple jesus punch, which at my school was made with grape coolaid drink powder, no water, all grain.

I've had moonshine a time or two as well, but find homemade cornlikker to be too harsh.

I'm a lady after all.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:12 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Gin and Tonic! Bombay Saphire people! (Ok maybe its the pretty bottle too.)
Tall glass, ice, a quarter of a REAL lime, squeeze around the edge of the glass, squeeze the rest into the glass and drop it in. Three fingers of gin, the rest tonic (no diet tonic, dont even think about it) stir, enjoy. Ah.
BB King never sang no songs about Bombay Saphire.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:18 AM   #14
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Now seems to be a good time to plug my favorite booze website. Click here to go to webtender.com.

They have a large library of drinks, a random selector for those who feel like experimenting, and a neato utility that has you enter everything that you have (drink-wise) in the house (you have more than you think) and then picks out recipes that you can make right away, and with one, two or three items missing for those who can make a quick trip to the grocery/liquor store.

Brian
Old 04-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

OOOOOOHhh.

The heck with the rest of the site.

It has a drinking game archive.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote