The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well that was exciting

Fuckin' old guy, not far out of a hospital, drove STRAIGHT AT US IN OUR LANE FOR LIKE 200 YARDS until J, starting to scream in terror, pulled into the shoulder and avoided the accident.

Past us, the guy proceeded to pull over into his own lane, then into the shoulder and then into the barrier, just lightly crashing.

We turned around and many people were on their way to check things out, so J helped by getting the guy's cell phone and calling his relations. The story seemed like the guy was diabetic AND had some defibrillator going off and was partly passed out.

While we all waited for the ambulance, the guy yacked twice and then they hauled him off.

My job was to get into the guy's horrible truck, avoiding the yack on the ground, on the door, and slightly on the steering wheel, and move it to a safer side street.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

hey, glad you're both not dead! well all 3 of you really, but I don't know the old guy.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Looks like for awhile it became just another manic Monday. You did a good deed, take the rest of the day off.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Somebody pushed that button that adds drama.

At least everyone's ok, more or less.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Glad you're all OK.

Sent by thought transference
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Makes me glad I'm home restricted this weekend.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Family called... he's OK in ICU. The explanation was that he was coming from dialysis and was weak when his defib went off and scared him. They have taken his truck away from him. It'll work out OK.

Drivers this weekend showed all kinds of amateur moves. Up the Schuylkill tonight, this Golf cuts into my merge lane and continues to pass the car in front of him, on the right, in the merge lane, which was about the most dangerous move I've seen in a long time.

Three miles later, a driver stopped to take pictures of the expressway (!), parking his van under an overpass where there is not enough room so he is jutting out into the traffic lane by a foot. Why under the overpass? I'm guessing because there was shade.

Stay at home xoB, the people out there are fuckin' insane.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Bloody hell. Exciting indeed.
And good for you to be so kindly when the chap not only endangered your lives but was also so vomitous.

My Good Samaritan credit runs out when there is vomit involved.
Well, I say that, but I thought the same about poop until it was family or children...
Nah. Upchuck from anything apart from a cat is still in the cut-and-run category for me.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Good on reading the driving situation and reacting properly.

Hope that family stands fast on keeping his car away from him. (betcha he's back on the road within a week, unfortunately).

People tend to be pretty groggy post-dialysis ... crazynurse used to nap in the afternoon of dialysis days. They really should develop some better standards for determining readiness to drive afterwards.

What were you doing that far west?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We had lunch in Malvern and drove back through the Park merely because it was Memorial Day.

← that Park
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
And good for you to be so kindly when the chap not only endangered your lives but was also so vomitous.
I had to drive it because the officer on scene couldn't handle puke. He was ultra-thankful to me, but later J wondered why he is in this line of work. Young dude, will probably see a lot worse don't you think?

Me, I like a cop who can't handle puke. You're allowed to be human, being a cop in the deep burbs.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Nirvana
Back in 10

Looks like there are angels among us. Good for you and J , UT! Karma points are raised in your favor!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Every time that guy plays chicken, he wins. Sumbitch!

Good for J to keep you alive.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

All credit to J. She didn't really start to scream out in horror. She screamed out more in a WTF sort of way. She made sure to avoid the accident. And most of all, she decided to turn around to see if the guy was OK.

She is a very compassionate person, and she is beautiful for it, and I learn from her all the time.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
We had lunch in Malvern and drove back through the Park merely because it was Memorial Day.

← that Park
I must be misreading what's on the back of the ECNALUBMA. Those numbers put it out on the left-hand end of the Commonwealth. Our local trucks are in the 300s. Is that truck attached to a fire house or rescue company, maybe?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote