The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: Should the government intervene?
Yes 11 68.75%
No 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

teen injures spine

Boy injures spine, mom has a mail order degree from a natural healing degree. Mom wants to treat boy at home. Doctors don't agree, judge sides with doctors.

Should the government intervene?

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA A judge on Monday refused to let the parents of a hospitalized Chichester High School wrestler treat his spinal injuries at home with alternative medicine but left unresolved the battle between his family and doctors over his care.
Quote:
The case underscores the long-standing clash between medical professionals and parents who eschew, for religious or other reasons, mainstream medical treatment. Some experts say the new flood of information - and misinformation - from the Internet only heightens the debate.
Quote:
Vermell Mitchell says she is acting as she does not for religious reasons, but rather out of her long-standing aversion to conventional medicine. She said she holds a degree in naturopathy from the Trinity School of Natural Healing, a nondenominational Christian school in Indiana that allows students to earn degrees by mail.

Read more: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011...#ixzz1DTtIfZUb
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I say if the mom wants to be nutty let her be nutty with her own health.

The boy needs real care/intervention. If the mother is standing in the way , the gov't should butt in.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Mom can do Reiki and give the kid Bach Flower Remedies while a real doctor works on his physical healing.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
glatt

There is plenty of precedent that if a parent endangers their own child, the government can come in and take the child away. I didn't bother to read the link, so I don't know the details here, but if the real doctors can offer real healing, and the parent's treatment would injure the child, then the government has every right to step in.

However, if the real doctors are just going to poke and prod the kid, and still be unable to heal him, and the mom is going to do something to make him more comfortable and not harm him, then the mom should be able to be a mom.

It really depends. I have to assume the judge looked at the facts and looked out for the kid's best interests.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Proof that mom is insane ... the child's name is "Mazeratti Mitchell"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Proof that mom is insane ... the child's name is "Mazeratti Mitchell"
still better than tara gabriel gramophone galaxy getty.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

A misspelling of a sports car? Seems unseemly for a hippy type.

Here, meet my son Lambert Genie, and his sister Far Aerie.

Stupid.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
SamIam

Family members shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they please to a child or a relative who is helpless. I just found out that an aquaintance of mine marched over to the hospital and disconnected his brother-in-law's oxygen supply because "it was time for him to die." Well, the BIL was not a vegetable on life support or something. He suffers from COPD and had a bad bout of bronchitis so he had to go on O2 for a while.

There are a lot of flakey if not downright crazy people out there, and most of them have families. Family members should get the same protection as anyone else would.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I'm fine with the parents doing whatever they want so long as the child is OK with it.

BUT! They all have to sign a waiver stating that when the child is crippled for life because of the parent's stupidity, they agree to NEVER ask for, or accept, any gov't. money in any way to assist in future medical care costs.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I'm fine with the parents doing whatever they want so long as the child is OK with it.
Sure, but can minors give consent? A parent has a lot of influence with a child, and can convince them to consent to something that's not in their best interest. We don't let minors consent to sex, for example.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post

BUT! They all have to sign a waiver stating that when the child is crippled for life because of the parent's stupidity, they agree to NEVER ask for, or accept, any gov't. money in any way to assist in future medical care costs.
I figure if the kid croaks, it'll save money in the same gov't money and medical care costs years down the road. I doubt his parental unit(s) are steering him in any good direction anyway.

I'm not sure his life is endangered, just his ability to move.

Yeah, I don't really mean that...but I thought everyone wanted a teeny-tiny government who stays out of people's lives?

Sure, the woman is a crackpot. The kid is no baby, though, he's 16. What does HE want? If he wants what his mother wants we all say he's brainwashed to think like his mother and that we know what is best (see paragraph 1) and if he says he wants the, I don't know, procedures (the article wasn't clear on what isn't happening that should be happening and the mother says he's now fine...who to believe?) then give him the procedure(s), and the gods of medicine can smugly 'fix' him. Case closed.

[/devil's advocate]
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Sure, but can minors give consent? A parent has a lot of influence with a child, and can convince them to consent to something that's not in their best interest. We don't let minors consent to sex, for example.
Yes, but in many cases they listen to a young man of 16. I'm thinking of a custody battle in which the teenager says he would prefer to live with one parent over another.

The kid's wishes certainly can come into play.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What a minor can consent to varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania the age for medical consent is 18, for mental health it is 14, for example.

Pennsylvania's Sexual Consent law is multilayered.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
The kid is no baby, though, he's 16. What does HE want? If he wants what his mother wants we all say he's brainwashed to think like his mother and that we know what is best (see paragraph 1) and if he says he wants the, I don't know, procedures (the article wasn't clear on what isn't happening that should be happening and the mother says he's now fine...who to believe?) then give him the procedure(s), and the gods of medicine can smugly 'fix' him. Case closed.[/devil's advocate]
I done thunk like my parents when I was 16.
In terms of making sensible long term life choices - especially in an emotionally charged situation - the majority of 16 year olds are not adults.

What am I saying?
I make few sensible long term life choices even now!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Shawnee123

Heh, I don't dwell in the land of sensible choices either, though I visit from time to time. I'm pretty sure I didn't think much like my parents at 16...but I don't know. I suppose if it were something they felt strongly about I might adopt their views. I know I thought a lot like my mom about some things, she always having been progressive and liberal.

I was looking at the other angle. We all want to think of the children, but these cases are rarely so cut and dried.

Honestly, I am torn, but there is very little "real" information to go on (as to be expected, privacy being important.)