The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Speeding Tickets

OUCH!

The Most Expensive States For Speeding Tickets
Tom Van Riper, 12.11.06, 10:00 AM ET

Taking a road trip home for the holidays this year? Be sure to go easy on the gas pedal, particularly if your travels take you up or down the East Coast.

According to the stats from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the I-95 corridor between the deep southeast and New England includes four of the ten U.S. states carrying the highest fines for speeding--Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland and New Hampshire. All hit up speeders for a maximum of $500 or more for a first offense. Judges in Carolina and Georgia, not to mention 16 other states, have the discretion to add jail time.

The national median for a first offender's top-end fine is $200, according to the NHTSA. And even states with lower standard fines sometimes have exceptions. Connecticut, for example, generally caps fines for first-time speeders at $50, though exceeding 70 miles per hour on a "multiple lane, limited access highway" will usually bring double or triple that amount. In Massachusetts, anyone caught going more than 10 miles per hour above the limit is socked for $10 for every additional mile, over and above the state's $50 minimum.

continues:

http://www.forbes.com/logistics/2006...1speeding.html
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Connecticut, for example, generally caps fines for first-time speeders at $50, though exceeding 70 miles per hour on a "multiple lane, limited access highway" will usually bring double or triple that amount.
My last speeding fine was in CT in 1998 on southbound route 8. Was clocked at 73mph and the fine was $200 IIRC.

Nowdays ( when in the US and driving ) I am one of those assholes that drives UNDER the limit. Cops don't so much as look at me now.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I know a guy who got a ticket for going too far under the speed limit. But he was doing something like 45 on the highway, he was genuinely causing dangerous conditions for the other drivers.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
busterb
NSABFD

The small town I live in doesn't write tickets, except for hitting the cops car at Hardies. Don't screw up the vote that keeps ya in office. No tag, muffler, insurance, windshield, lights. No problem! Drive on Bro.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Last night I saw two 4x4 pickup trucks complete with the paint jobs, reflective decals, lightbar and radar of the NY State police.
One was on I-684 and the other on the link from the Garden State Parkway to I-87.
Maybe those unfrozen median strips were to muddy for the cruisers?