The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Spiderman 3 American Flag Cameo Scoffed

http://newsbusters.org/node/12528

While looking for an american flag shot to post in the Glory thread
http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php...475#post354475
I was suprised to see critics scoffing at the american flag cameo in Spiderman 3. Ok yes the movie was very cartoon like and not very good but it was a redeeming segment. In fact it was the ONLY thing I liked about it.

I challenge anyone to even find that shot anywhere! It would have made a great poster.

Lastly, go find a old glory pic to post in ljs great thread idea.
You can find images here if needed. http://www.allposters.com/-st/Patrio...2410_s961_.htm
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Meh - it was a British reviewer's reaction to the shot.
We don't feel the same way about our flag, and the veneration and symbolism of the Stars & Stripes can come across as at best unsettling and at worst cheesy to us.

Typical that "we saved them in WWI and WWII" popped up almost immediately in the comments section though... What on earth has that to do with the fact a foreign reviewer isn't stirred by a foreign flag?

Is there an equivalent of Godwin's Law for mention of Americans saving the world in the wars?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Is there an equivalent of Godwin's Law for mention of Americans saving the world in the wars?
It's interesting that many of the folks who bring up saving the world had nothing to do with it beyond the happy accident of being born here sometime after the war. This is the right wing equivelent of the left's slavery reparations movement.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

G, you wouldn't have entered it, would you?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I was suprised to see critics scoffing at the american flag cameo in Spiderman 3. Ok yes the movie was very cartoon like and not very good but it was a redeeming segment. In fact it was the ONLY thing I liked about it.
I thought the shot just came off as really corny. But not irritating, as the critic expressed. Actually, the whole movie was pretty corny, but I still enjoyed it.

As an aside, I was surprised at how many very young kids (like 3-4 years old) were there with their parents, though--it's a violent flick!
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
skysidhe

I didn't really take it that seriously. I understood it was a cheesy moment but in that one moment of cheese I could feel proud. Not because we were saving the world because I don't know anyone who feels that way. It is more of a feeling of embarassment and at that moment it took the edge off.

I think it was a bit of cheese but it still would have made a great poster. The fact that not one poster of it has been made contradicts the scoffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
We don't feel the same way about our flag
Def Leppard came very close to changing that. Maybe it's something in the air here that makes us want to boast a flag?

http://video.aol.com/video/def-leppard-now/1447216

It's about that famous union jack t.

Last edited by skysidhe; 06-14-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
I thought the shot just came off as really corny. But not irritating, as the critic expressed. Actually, the whole movie was pretty corny, but I still enjoyed it.

As an aside, I was surprised at how many very young kids (like 3-4 years old) were there with their parents, though--it's a violent flick!

true blue

I found it true to the comic book that is for sure!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

english flag strategy:
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hell, we started out with the then Union Jack as the canton -- among other variants for a national flag -- though this did not survive the Revolutionary War (1775-1783). A Union that was a canton full of white stars won out.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
G, you wouldn't have entered it, would you?
If I had the power to change everything, I'd have avoided entrance into the Great War, rendering the WWII question moot. Frankly though, I'd have let the fascists and communists kill each other for a long long time before admitting a need for intervention, while at the same time encouraging Jewish immigration to the States. FDR chose the bloodiest way out, blocking immigration and dedicating the country to global domination. Yes, it is a different sort of empire, but no, it doesn't make us any more moral than the British or the Romans. (Did I give you enough targets? )
Old 06-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
english flag strategy:
funny Eddie Lizzard. Now something I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Hell, we started out with the then Union Jack as the canton -- among other variants for a national flag -- though this did not survive the Revolutionary War (1775-1783). A Union that was a canton full of white stars won out.
ahh, I can understand that.

UT and Griff are talking way over my head.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
UT and Griff are talking way over my head.
You'd better stand up then, since I'm talking out my...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
You'd better stand up then, since I'm talking out my...
lol lol lol!!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
If I had the power to change everything, I'd have avoided entrance into the Great War, rendering the WWII question moot. Frankly though, I'd have let the fascists and communists kill each other for a long long time before admitting a need for intervention, while at the same time encouraging Jewish immigration to the States. FDR chose the bloodiest way out, blocking immigration and dedicating the country to global domination. Yes, it is a different sort of empire, but no, it doesn't make us any more moral than the British or the Romans. (Did I give you enough targets? )
If Hitler had taken Europe, Germany would have been the bad guy in the inevitable cold war. We were kind of obliged to respond to pearl Harbor and the Philippines, though.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

In the Pagan community, we often run into people that think we're not right in the head somehow because we show patriotism by flying Old Glory off of our front porch. Usually, when I explain that it was sent to me by a guy serving in Iraq, and that it flew over his base for a day before he sent it to us, they think I'm a complete war pig or something.

I fly this flag because I love this country. One of the reasons I love this country is that, at least as of this writing, I can say how fucked it is in how many ways, and no one will come and throw me in prison.

Now, let me try to fly somewhere with a butterknife, and my story might change, but for now, I don't have a problem with patriotism. I have a problem with irrationality in the name of patriotism.