The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 11:21 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

By now many people will have seen this, but I had to include it anyway. If Mir hits this target tomorrow, every person in the US will get a free taco at Taco Bell.

I always wonder whether folks have seen a story or something about the images I post. I don't really follow news the same way everyone else does, I think. I do it mostly over the net, using my.yahoo.com (customized portal) and a collection of news-aggregating websites. Sometimes I catch the 10 o'clock news on Fox. I don't watch the national TV news at all and rarely read newspapers.

So, how many of my images are something you've seen before in some other format?
Old 03-22-2001, 11:22 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And why isn't our ocean that green?

(Photography won't necessarily produce the exact right colors, and your own monitor may produce color differences, so take colors found online with a grain of salt.)
Old 03-22-2001, 08:07 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
By now many people will have seen this, but I had to include it anyway. If Mir hits this target tomorrow, every person in the US will get a free taco at Taco Bell.
Of course, if Mir hits a populated area and does real damage, that cute stunt is going to fall very flat.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 03-22-2001, 08:54 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by richlevy
Of course, if Mir hits a populated area and does real damage, that cute stunt is going to fall very flat.
Hence, the Russian Government took out $200 million in insurance last week.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a safe landing. I don't remember the fall of Skylab, but my fiance tells me that it was a mini-spectacle like this.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:04 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
Let's see...275 million people at what? 59 cents a pop? Let's just say that about 150 million would take them up on it (given vegetarians and people that don't have Taco Bells)...that would be a huge hit for them...that would wipe out the money that Tricor is using to try and buy the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Quote:
I always wonder whether folks have seen a story or something about the images I post. I don't really follow news the same way everyone else does, I think. I do it mostly over the net, using my.yahoo.com (customized portal) and a collection of news-aggregating websites. Sometimes I catch the 10 o'clock news on Fox. I don't watch the national TV news at all and rarely read newspapers.

So, how many of my images are something you've seen before in some other format?
Truth be told, I find them interesting...and at times, humorous, like today. You also use images that wouldn't even make CN8...so the diversity is a good thing. (That's not to say that the images are bad, but that TV news never seems to have time for the interesting little things anymore.)

Speaking of news, I had no idea that Renee Chenault of NBC10 was marrying Congressman Fattah in 2 weeks...wow. I also didn't know that Larry Mendte was married to an anchor at KYW-3.

See...those detractors are wrong...the Daily News CAN be informative. (And it's a lot easier to read on the El than the Inky.)
Old 03-23-2001, 07:18 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

You're doing great with the images Tony. I get most of my news off the web, supplemented by the News Hour a couple times per week and whatever radio news (Talk of the Nation etc.) I can stomach. The Yahoo portal lays out more stories than the network news and you can always follow up on a story using your search engines. You can even add in your own prefered propaganda with something like Freedom News Daily. Surfers have to be careful with sources but if you want to know, you can really chase an item. Being outside cable land and having a really weak local paper, I've found the net to be a good diversion when I could be doing something productive.
Closed Thread