The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Ibby
erika

So... were we just going to avoid this one forever?

Walter Reed? What? I've never heard of Walter Reed! Nothing to see here, move along!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Have you been on the pipe Ibram?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I worked there one summer. Not in the hospital part, though, so I can't speak to the controversy.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

My favorite doctor ever left his private practice to go work there, so I know they have at least one great doc.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I could Google this. But I'd rather hear the Cellar's take on it. Someone take pity on an ignoramus and explain please?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Two Washington Post reporters broke a story showing that the wounded soldiers who are being treated as out patients are being warehoused under horrific conditions. Rodents, rot, and mold are just three ways we say, "Thank you for your service." Complaints to the Army and to individual congresscritters were largely ignored until the spotlight shone on the situation.

The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.TJ

This all fits into the story of Bush Administration's attempted cost cutting during war-time and their over-all state of denial about the true cost of their war of choice. Meanwhile private individuals have funded the Center for the Intrepid among other facilities to serve the fallen.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thank you kindly - I will do some background reading now.

Slightly OT, but I assume your quote is Thomas Jefferson. One of my heroes for the record, but he never encountered British tabloids. One of my main gripes with government today is that they are so sadly dependent on the media. If that had been the case at the start of the last century I doubt women would ever have got the vote (1918)
Old 03-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Two Washington Post reporters broke a story...
This is why the newspapers are still the best source of news on the planet and its a tragedy that they are slowly dying as the next generation doesn't subscribe and classified ad revenue disappears almost completely to Craigslist.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
...This all fits into the story of Bush Administration's attempted cost cutting during war-time and their over-all state of denial about the true cost of their war of choice. Meanwhile private individuals have funded the Center for the Intrepid among other facilities to serve the fallen.
Not to mention their "Democrats don't support the troops" hypocricy.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Walter Reed? What? I've never heard of Walter Reed! Nothing to see here, move along!
Thank you for making me feel invisible.

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?p=320129#post320129
Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post

He missed a bunch of commentary not just yours...
Old 03-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In fairness some of the patients were being treated as out patients, but being far from home they were allow to stay in some of the buildings that were scheduled to be eliminated. These buildings were not in good repair.

But.... but, but, but, the thing that makes me want to physically punish the administrators...severly, is the bureaucratic bullshit.
Treat a patient and leave him hanging on the results of tests, and no further appointments even though treatment will obviously be needed. And when he inquires they have no record of him or why he's there. Of course this is after making him fill out a stack of forms that threaten our forest reserves, often twice.
This is inexcusable, treating a wounded soldier this way. But, the fact that this happens to dozens of soldiers every day, is nothing short of criminal. Those bastards should be court marshaled. I'm serious, criminal malfeasance, treasonable dereliction of duty in war time. Leavenworth.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post

You're being punished for not answering my question. :p
http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=320125&postcount=8
Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
busterb
NSABFD

I know first hand what the clowns at VA do. Just one of the last f!@#ups. Was suppose to have a Barium? enema 2 months ago. 3 phone call from them, 3 different directions for pre test. So they wouldn't do it. Next round I asked about 10 different people for written directions. My DR. sent them on 2/07/07 they were printed on the 27th, day of new test. I received them the 3/3/07. I got to pay for meds twice, extra trip to VA and it was all my fault for not following directions. bb
Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
In fairness some of the patients were being treated as out patients, but being far from home they were allow to stay in some of the buildings that were scheduled to be eliminated. These buildings were not in good repair.

But.... but, but, but, the thing that makes me want to physically punish the administrators...severly, is the bureaucratic bullshit.
Treat a patient and leave him hanging on the results of tests, and no further appointments even though treatment will obviously be needed. And when he inquires they have no record of him or why he's there. Of course this is after making him fill out a stack of forms that threaten our forest reserves, often twice.
This is inexcusable, treating a wounded soldier this way. But, the fact that this happens to dozens of soldiers every day, is nothing short of criminal. Those bastards should be court marshaled. I'm serious, criminal malfeasance, treasonable dereliction of duty in war time. Leavenworth.
Ahem... waitaminit. Buildings scheduled to be demolished? From the BRAC decision? Or, already condemned buildings? Really, it's a trick question. There is NO EXCUSE!

If it's a live working building, but has accumulated deferred maintenance, fine. But if you (not you xob, the numbnuts fuckwit that assigned that housing) designate it as valid housing, then you damn well better make sure it's in good working order. If it was really condemned or "scheduled for demolition" then it's not appropriate to designate it as shelter, dammit.

This is textbook FUBAR by bureaucracy. Makes me want to hang my head in shame. And I find a certain schadenfreud from the hypocrisy of the "Support the Troops" dittoheads. Fuckers. indeed.